Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is it okay to put 1 Betta to a 1 gallon tank?
Hi. Due to the fact that a betta should have a heater (their water temperature should be in the 78-80 degree F range consistently), also a filter is a helpful thing to have, and additionally safe (no pokey protrusions or sharp edges to tear fins) hardscape and plants to hide in --hides are more important for bettas than some people realize, there simply isn't room in a 1 gal.

The main thing however is that in order to keep the water quality safe for him you would be doing water changes daily. A larger container is somewhat less work, and is all around a much healthier environment.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I usually only use a 1 gallon to start the tiny petco baby betta or if a sick fish can’t swim well. I think they can be maintained but it’s you have to be really on top of temperature and water changes.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
You will find many opinions on this topic. It is not so much a matter of can they survive, it's a quality of life issue.
As mentioned previously here, it is much more work to maintain the water parameters in a 1 gallon tank than in a larger habitat. Many people around here do not recommend such a small home.
We do have a showcase on here for 1 and 2 gallon homes, but always bear in mind, the people who showcase those tanks are meticulous about ensuring the health and well being of the animals.

From personal experience, when my little one was quarantined in a 1 gallon tank, my routine was to do his water change right after getting home from work and before making dinner. I will tell you, that got old REALLY fast. From a decoration standpoint, a 5 gallon tank with an active betta, in my opinion is much more pleasing than a 1 gallon with a cramped betta.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will find many opinions on this topic. It is not so much a matter of can they survive, it's a quality of life issue.
As mentioned previously here, it is much more work to maintain the water parameters in a 1 gallon tank than in a larger habitat. Many people around here do not recommend such a small home.
We do have a showcase on here for 1 and 2 gallon homes, but always bear in mind, the people who showcase those tanks are meticulous about ensuring the health and well being of the animals.

From personal experience, when my little one was quarantined in a 1 gallon tank, my routine was to do his water change right after getting home from work and before making dinner. I will tell you, that got old REALLY fast. From a decoration standpoint, a 5 gallon tank with an active betta, in my opinion is much more pleasing than a 1 gallon with a cramped betta.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keep in mind, every inch of fish needs at least on gallon of water. I wouldn’t recommend such a small tank. I have a ten gal for one betta and 7 harlequin rasboras. That might be pushing it a little. If you want to keep your betta in a one gal you have to be really on top of cleaning. Water changes everyday. If you have a filter maybe every other day. But this will stress your fish out and give him a shorter life. If you want your fish to not just survive but actually be happy, get a bigger tank.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi

Keep in mind, every inch of fish needs at least on gallon of water.
The 1 inch per gallon may apply to some linear fish for example 10 Kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon tank but it wouldn't apply to a Black ghost knife.

In my opinion a 5 gallon is too small for a giant.

As for a 1 gallon tank, my coffee cup is bigger.

·
Super Moderator
18,320 Posts
The 1" rule was originally about Goldfish. But then they kept growing and people figured out that rule might not be practical. For instance, you couldn't put a 20" fish in a 20 gallon (even a 20 long). Would love to be able to smack the person who first made that rule! Especially as I repeated it for years. :oops:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 1" rule was originally about Goldfish. But then they kept growing and people figured out that rule might not be practical. For instance, you couldn't put a 20" fish in a 20 gallon (even a 20 long). Would love to be able to smack the person who first made that rule! Especially as I repeated it for years. :oops:
I guess that makes sense. I’ve just been told that sooo many times. Sorry for spreading false info

·
Super Moderator
18,320 Posts
I guess that makes sense. I’ve just been told that sooo many times. Sorry for spreading false info
Absolutely no problem! As I mentioned, I repeated it for donkey's years. And if you look at my sig you will know I really mean "donkey's years." :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts