Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommates surprised me with some fish they bought for my 10 gallon tank.

Now my 10 gallon tank has:

1 Betta
3 Albino Cory Catfish
6 Neon Tetras
1 Snail

Is this too many fish for my 10 gallon?

Should I tell my roommates to return the fish? =(

If I end up keeping everything, how much water and how often should I change the tank?

My tank setup is a 10-20gallon penguin filter, 10-20 gallon heater, and gravel.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
That setup is fine. Just don't add any thing else. For water changes there is a site that can calculate that and what you stocking level is. Type in fish stocking calculator on Google and it should be the first one.

·
Registered
583 Posts
IMO I would NEVER trust those sights..... Never! I would do 25 to 35% water changes weekly if I were you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering, does anyone know if neon and glowlight tetra's can school together? Or do I need at least 5 of each for them to feel secure.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I only use that site for a rough estimate btw. 30% should be fine for water changes.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Just wondering, does anyone know if neon and glowlight tetra's can school together? Or do I need at least 5 of each for them to feel secure.
They *can*, but it isn't ideal. Much better to have 5 neons AND 5 glowlights, then you will notice them schooling in their own groups. It's the same with cories - always better to have 4 peppered, for instance, than a bunch of different ones. They will school, but not nearly as happily as they would with their own kind. For instance, my bronze and albino cories (c. anaeus) will both school together rather than with my peppered or panda cories.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts