Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We set up our planted tank for my 10 year old 3 days ago. We do not have fish in the tank yet but she will definitely be getting a Betta.

I bought the plants and am currently cycling the tank, but I have never done a planted tank.

Once I have cycled the tanks, how many fish and what types should I put in with the fish. We are waiting on the Betta until the plant comes in that goats on top of the water, which should be here by next week.

Our tank will have a bubbler. It has a heater, thermometer and adjustable filter.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi!
Possibly there's something here that helps;

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks this was helpful. We have kept Betta’s and other fish before I have just never done a planted tank so there are new rules and things that I am trying to figure out and that answered many of my questions

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
We set up our planted tank for my 10 year old 3 days ago. We do not have fish in the tank yet but she will definitely be getting a Betta.

I bought the plants and am currently cycling the tank, but I have never done a planted tank.

Once I have cycled the tanks, how many fish and what types should I put in with the fish. We are waiting on the Betta until the plant comes in that goats on top of the water, which should be here by next week.

Our tank will have a bubbler. It has a heater, thermometer and adjustable filter.
It would depend on the size of the tank. If you're keeping the betta in the tank with other fish as a community tank I would plant it heavily. Several anubias, and some suctioned cupped maybe towards the top so he or she has somewhere to go and rest away from the others. I think they recommend stocking them in layers so betta at the top, maybe some shrimp at the bottom, and depending on the size of your tank some for the middle.

·
Super Moderator
19,767 Posts
Betta-based community tanks do best if they are 75% planted. This is as much for the Betta as for the others. As slower moving fish, especially if they have long fins, they are sometimes nipped by others. For this reason they need a place to retreat.

You probably know this, but for those who don't, when adding fish to a tank with a Betta already in residence turn off the lights. This is especially important if you float a bag to acclimate. Keep the lights off for at least an hour or two after opening bags to allow the new residents time to adjust. Leaving the lights sometimes causes frustration and aggression in the Betta. This often sets a tone one doesn't want.

I would hold off on shrimp until the tank is at least a couple of months past cycling. With 75% planting you should have a breeding colony. But they are food so few babies would survive.

Welcome back to the Forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so we took the plunge and got 3 glo tetra (I hate them, my daughter loved them and would not look at others) and 1 white skirt tetra.

We had 4 glo Tetra but a small pink one died and my autistic 13 year old who my 10 year old told could have that fish cried and no longer wanted the genetically modified fish (hence the white skirt which is the same fish just not glowing). This was 5 days ago. We got the 4 glo tetra 6 days ago)

The fish have been in there for 4
days and my water is all good. It has perfect ph, ammonia levels and nitrate and nitrite levels. I did do one water change the day the fish died we did a 50% water change. I did not want to because I did not want to stress the fish but I also wanted good water levels and wanted to try to ensure no other fish got sick.

We did not quarantine the white skirt like we should have. We did not have the smaller tank yet due to not expecting to get any new fish for a month.

I do have one now. We will quarantine the Beta when we get it on the first. Then it will join this tank and be watched to ensure it gets along.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts