Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious... is a 10 gallon, that's divided 4 ways (2.5g/2.5g/2.5g/2.5g)... humane?
I mean, I know it's a common rule that the minimum space for a betta is 2.5 gallons... but I don't know if that rule differs in a divided space?

Anyone do this to a tank? May I see a pic? :-D
I can't decide if this is something I would want to do.
I need more space and really don't want to have to get -another- tank...

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know...that sounds like that would be pushing it to me. 2.5g is a good amount of water for a betta, but it's the shape of each section that has me questioning it. Those sections will be pretty tall and narrow, and I don't think it would be enough room for each fish to swim in because they like to have more horizontal space than vertical. I don't think I would divide a 10g more than 3 ways (2 dividers).

·
Banned
224 Posts
I think I agree with DDave.. It wouldn't be a lot of room for swimming.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You forgot to keep in mind that a 10 gallon tank with Bettas in it will not hold 10 gallons if you leave an inch at the top for breathing.

So you're looking at more of a 2/2/2/2, especially depending on the amount of gravel/decor you add in. I would divided it three ways, giving a solid 3/3/3

·
Registered
159 Posts
I divided my 5 gallon thinking it would be 2.5/2.5, but it turned out to be 2/2. I wasn't happy with that so I bought a 10 gallon yesterday that I will be dividing soon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I usually lean toward 8 inch minimum width in barracks tanks ( divided tank )

Dimensions of a 10 gallon are 20x10x12

My next project will be a

30 gallon breeder tank dimensions 36x12x16

or maybe a

33 Gallon long tank dimensions 48x13x12

When planning the project I usually think about buying tanks that maximize sections in 8 inch increments...

Example 33 gallon barracks
8x13x12 = appox 5.4 gallons +/- 10th of a gallon for divider volume space...

Surface area for breathing is appox 104 square inches...

Though swimming is more front to back in a setup like this, the appox cubic inches is more than adequate for a fish of this size...

But to circulate water in a tank like this you need a little DIY skills to turn a filter into a spray bar filter so each section gets equal amounts of fresh water with low turbulence...

Tank size list at link
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/standard-aquariums.htm

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

I had mine divided four ways for a while. It was plenty of space IMHO, and i also filled the tank completely, but my hood sat right on top of the dividers, so there was no room for jumping over either.

Now i have them divided only three ways because i got a third tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks like enough space to me. only reason I lean towards 8 inchs is full size Adult Male Crown tales look cramped in anything less...

BTW" nice looking banana plants in that pic..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone!
I think IF I do anything, I'll try a 3/3/3, for just my smaller guys.
We'll see :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds good to me! Just be careful to make sure there's enough swimming space! ;) Sounds awesome! I'll be dividing my 10 gallon 3 ways soon!! Eeeeekkk! *Excited*

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Looks like enough space to me. only reason I lean towards 8 inchs is full size Adult Male Crown tales look cramped in anything less...

BTW" nice looking banana plants in that pic..

I had two adult crowns in a four way divided tank and they looked fine... Lemme see if i can find the pic...

The two middle boys are both full grown crown tails:

And i would thank you for the compliment except those are fake... XDDD The only live plants are my marimo balls... >.>;;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts