Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my male betta Charlie began pine coning severely. He was from Petco, bought about 7 months ago, and I think old age got the best of him (I suspected he was old when I purchased him) and weakened his immune system. He has been removed, is in a hospital tank, but I don't see him surviving this.

I was looking into possibly starting a sorority tank in a month or so. It is a planted tank. My main concern is that I have 4 ghost shrimp and 4 ember tetras in said 10g. Would that be compatible with a sorority? I have a second tank I could move a shrimp or two into, but the tetras gotta stay in this tank. I've been doing a lot of research but can't find any information on this specifically. If it won't work, I'm not going to force anything and may either get another male betta or continue letting the shrimp and tetras have the 10g to themselves.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I don't recommend sororities.

Domestic bettas, even females, are very aggressive and natural loners. They do not "enjoy" the company of other bettas and get no benefit from the arrangement because even if they are not outright attacking each other, their presence is a source of stress which weakens them. It's purely for the enjoyment of their keeper to see them in one tank together and I feel like that is not a good enough reason to start a new one.

If you absolutely had to have a sorority then IMO a 20g is the bare minimum, and you'd need at least five girls- preferably young and from the same spawn so they are used to being with each other. And the tank needs to be very heavily planted since every betta will want to establish her own territory, and heavy planting will help break up chases. Even then, you will most likely have the fish fight or at bare minimum cause each other stress, which weakens their immune systems and leads to diseases which can quickly wipe out the entire tank.

That all being said, what's going on with your male? Most bettas are only around six months when they are sold, so it may not be "old age" just yet. Pineconing/dropsy is pretty serious, but if you'd like to make a thread in our "Diseases and Emergencies" section with his info, we might find out that whatever is ailing him is curable after all. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts