Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In a couple of months (after I've moved) I plan on starting a betta sorority. I have a planted 10 gallon with no fish and an empty 20 gallon. It would be quite easy for me to transfer the plants to the 20 gallon if needed.

I was wondering, from peoples' experience, what would be the better option, the 10g or the 20g? And how many ladies per tank?

Any extra helpful tips would be nice! I'd like to be well prepared.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I have 4 in a 20G long. There are more options for tankmates with a 20G. I started out with a 10G but you can have more females with a 20G. At one point, I had 12 and they got along amazingly well but I had the tank jam packed with silk plants/decor

·
Registered
273 Posts
Once you get beyond 10G your sorority tanks really take off and do really well. I have a 16 gallon and with 7 girls. I can support more, but I have lots of catfish (that I also love). I have corydoras, otocincilus, upside down catfish, shrimp, and snails. I used to have some orange (CPO) crayfish too, but I haven't replaced the since they died (one of old age).

A larger tank also makes it easier to separate the girls if needed or put some on hold before adding them to the group using breeder boxes. I can fit up to 3 in my tank.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
They say the MAX for a 10G is 6 so I would think 12 would be for a 20G but I would only have that many if there is tons of decor. They cant fight if they cant see the other fish. You want to to have good coverage at all levels of the tank, not just the bottom

·
Banned
489 Posts
10-12 girls in a 20 g is a good number. It spreads out the aggression among more members, reducing it...if that makes sense lol. Plenty of tall plants to break the line of sight and plenty of hiding places.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have...erm...12? girls in a 36G.

As others already said, go with the 20 :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Deanna I am glad you posted that because I'd been following that advice and that more fish spreads out the aggression. I was starting to get worried as I read this thread that I will have too many fish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just moved my 4 females from a 10 to a 20 and added 5 more :) ...the 4 had been in the 10 for just over a year and of course I had to get more when I upgraded their tank. I now have 9 in the 20 along with 4 oto's and lots of silk plants and hide holes for them. Working on getting more live plants for all 3 of my tanks and of course if I see any more girls that I just have to have I still have room to add them :) I have been lurking here for over a year but this is actually the first time I have posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.