Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I'm new to betta-keeping. I did a ton of research on the fish before getting it, and I kept getting mixed answers on tank size (some say 2.5 gallons is enough, while others say 5 gallons is a minimum).

I finally decided to get a 2.5 gallon (I have limited space since I live in a dorm room) with a filter, quality heater, conditioned water, a small stack of caves, and a silk plant. I successfully did a fishless cycle prior to getting the fish, so I know a tank that small can be cycled.

I got him a about a day ago (he's a gorgeous red male, I named him Fuego). So far he seems perfectly fine, but I want to make absolutely certain that he can be happy and healthy in a 2.5 gallon with the accommodations I've given him.

·
Registered
551 Posts
He should most definitely be okay. I go with 2.5gallon as a minimum personally, though I know some people who successfully keep them in smaller.

It sounds like your doing everything right. Which is far more than I can say for myself when I first got my betta.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Mine are currently in 10 gallons - they used to be divided but most died over the past few months. Anyways, there is no reason why 2 gallons wont work as long as you do the weekly water changes ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone! My tank is currently cycling once again as I was stupid enough to do a 100% water change and disrupt it. But I'm keeping an eye on ammonia readings and they're staying tolerably low (around 0.25 ppm).

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
You're clever enough to pull off a fishless cycle in a 2.5g and are now fish-in re-cycling. You're doing great. He'll be fine. Live plants never hurt.

And you call out your readings like an engineer. (0.25 ppm) Cool.

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts