Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fish friends! :smile2:

I have a male Betta that I got about 5 months ago. About 2 and a half months ago he started rubbing on gravel and plants, he doesn't do it constantly but about every 8 to 10 minutes or so. I figured it was some kind of External parasite and have tried ICH treatment (thinking i seen a whitish spot on his head, but turned out the tiny spot is part of his body and color and is still there 2 mo. later) , iv tried AQ salt dips for 3 days, and some salt in his tank and NONE of these have worked. 2 days ago I noticed a very white skinny worm looking thing that came from his gill or off him SOMEWHERE and i didnt notice it looking like an Anchor worm but cannot be sure. Also he had a little white thing hanging on inside of his front left small fin, so assuming it may be Anchor worm anyway, i got some Coppersafe at LFS and it was really the only parasite killer i could get asap without ordering online. He seems to be doing fine with the Coppersafe in the tank and seems a little bit calmer and not rubbing as often, but he is STILL rubbing from time to time but The tiny white thing hanging on fin looks to be gone. Does anyone know the length of time it takes for coppersafe to make Betta stop the itching?? I still am not sure if its gill flukes, anchor worm or what. Anyone that has experienced betta rubbing and it NOT being caused by ICH , your input would be VERY helpful! Thank you so much!! :serious:
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.6 gallon Fluval Spec
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 to 80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Frozen Brine shrimp for treats, but stopped feeding these until i get parisite FREE Hikari brand.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 25% every 3 days
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vac once every week.
What additives do you use? Tetra water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH): ?
Alkalinity (KH) ?

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About 2 and a half months ago.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? None , fins are really good.:smile2:
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Rubbing on gravel and plant leaves.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? A little bit of aquarium salt and 1 half Tsp Coppersafe. Calls for 1Tsp per 4 gal. My gravel, plants and decor i figured takes up half gal so i measured for 2 gallons.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 5 months. Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Healthy when purchased.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use mardel copper safe parasite treatment. It generally takes about a week in my experience with ich… Pictures would be helpful though! Nobody can really be sure without them. However, when my betta had ich he was itching constantly!!!! So I found it a little odd that its just every 8 minutes or so. Best of luck! :) Hope I was of some help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you able to post some pictures of that thing that was hanging on, for the moderators / members to review?
Well the problem is that i noticed it is still there, but seems to have gotten smaller which is odd to me, and it is stuck on the inside of his little front fin, the one that moves all the time, so i dont think i can get a clear picture, it is really hard to see. :frown2: I was wondering if i could post a short video on here though and was wanting to post one of him rubbing on gravel. He seems to be rubbing the same amount as before i put in Mardel coppersafe... and it looks to me that he is rubbing his gills mostly. I sure hope he gets better soon! Have not seen any more longer white worm things in water or on him, but i only seen that 1 and the smaller looking one hanging on his inside fin. Thanks SO much! I will keep updating. :smile2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use mardel copper safe parasite treatment. It generally takes about a week in my experience with ich… Pictures would be helpful though! Nobody can really be sure without them. However, when my betta had ich he was itching constantly!!!! So I found it a little odd that its just every 8 minutes or so. Best of luck! :) Hope I was of some help!
Thank you for your input! I do know it is not ICH because i have had past experience with ICH with my other Betta, i dont see any white spots , just that tiny white looking thing that appeared to be hanging onto the inside of his little front fin. I did do ICH treatment with raised temp, about a month ago thinking that might be what it is, but no help there. He seems to be itching the same as usual, i guess its actually every 3 to 5 minutes. :frown2: That white hanging thing on his fin seems to have gotten smaller, and too hard to see since it is on the inside of his front little fin. I will try and post a video somehow of him rubbing, to make sure that is in fact what he is doing.... itching. I will keep updating. Thank you so much! :smile2:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I use mardel copper safe parasite treatment. It generally takes about a week in my experience with ich
If you are using this medication to treat ICH and it takes a week the stuff is rubbish.

To treat ICH raise the water temp to 86F for 7 days, You will see improvement in 12 hours and the fish should be ICH free in 24.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts