Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very new to bettas - just got 2 female babies 3 days ago. One of them is slightly larger than the other. The smaller one gets chased occasionally but she has plenty of hiding spots. I'm worried because the larger one keeps getting to all the pellets and the smaller one isn't really eating. How do I prevent overfeeding and underfeeding? Or is the smaller one just taking a while to adjust to the environment with a fellow baby female?

·
Super Moderator
22,742 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

The only way you can solve the problem is another aquarium. Or, if it is a 10 gallon you can divide. Two females are not meant to live together and the behavior you are seeing is why. If you decide to keep them together you need to have 75% plants/cover so there are no open lines of sight or chase.

·
Registered
current pets: Kiwi and Avacado (parrotlets) many fishy, 3 doggos, Holly, Piper, and Mika
22 Posts
i agree with the above. BUT, females ARE compatible, but you need 3, not 2, they will fight.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Reactions: X skully X

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: the bigger baby seems to be bothering the tinier baby less today - Tinier baby is also becoming more comfortable with bigger baby approaching her - I think maybe this could work out?

·
Super Moderator
22,742 Posts
Update: the bigger baby seems to be bothering the tinier baby less today - Tinier baby is also becoming more comfortable with bigger baby approaching her - I think maybe this could work out?
Not likely. I asked the person who wrote the above-linked article and she said "no way." Females are not compatible but to help spread the aggression and relieve constant stress at least five are necessary.

What size is the tank? Please post a photo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's 5 gal - Petco said that was the min size for 2 babies and they said 2 betta female babies should get along fine. The tiny one was behind the rock structure when I took this - she loves being on the bottom layer and uses ALL the plants/caves, the bigger one (pictured) is always swimming in the upper layer. Not sure if it's helpful, but when we bought these two fish, the larger one was naturally more active to begin with, the smaller one preferred to stay stiller and chill in a corner (even in her plastic container).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unlikely …bettas are killers..it’s just a matter of when…could be the next currency you drop in like food 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
22,742 Posts
Pet stores are in the market to sell and most personnel give advice on they've been spoon fed and not from real knowledge. If you do a Google search you will find their misinformation about Betta contradicted over and over.

This is a good, soft plant. You can take it apart and "plant" in several places. It should add close to the amount of cover you need to have any chance of success. However, your girls will have a more positive outlook if you get another five gallon and separate them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the suggestion! With 75% cover - will it be difficult to clean the gravel?

·
Super Moderator
22,742 Posts
No, shouldn't be difficult. I like to use just the hosing attached to the plastic bit. I have tanks heavily-planted with live plants and I find that much easier to get in the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ok I just want to let you know of my experience of a betta sorority. I also bout my first female sorority from a petco. I bought 4 young girls not babies but young. They were in the same tank and they said they would be great together in my 20 gallon tank. I wasn’t even planning on getting a sorority but they convinced me it would be fine. My tank was kinda bare like your. In a couple weeks I ended up here because my one girl was getting bullied after light off at night. I never saw the bullying at all my poor girl actually kept jumping up on one of the floating logs trying to get away from the bullying. I scooped her out and ran to the store and bought a 2.5 gallon hospital tank. The o ly thing I could see wrong with her was clamped fins. I did everything I could to save her but she ended up dying. Probably from internal damage. I was very frustrated and upset with myself for not getting her out soon enough and listening to them and not doing my research and finding this place before I had problems.

I changed my whole tank with a lot of hiding places and over 75% planted life and fake plants. I also added community fish to distract them from each other and bought 2 more girls for the tank. So that the aggression would be distributed out. Lost a girl to dropsy so the rest were getting along fine for months. I didn’t want to upset the apple cart so I never got another one to replace the one lost. I thought I had it under control. I ended up with another die and one with injured gill. They were mature and not having anything to do with each other when the light were out again. Light on they ate together very peacefully and no chasing nothing. Everyone swam Along ignoring each other.

When I took my beautiful green half moon girl out with a hurt girl. Is when I decided to go and get a 20 gallon long and divid it into 4 sections for my girls. While waiting on my divot get here I lost that girl and my veil girl that was still in my other tank. So I have only 1 girl left from my original girls in my old sorority tank now just community tank. My sorority tank lasted 8 months. So yes maybe they can be together as babies but when they mature you will most likely end up with the smallest girl hurt or worse.

Sorry this is so long but I am very passionate about this subject and I don’t want anyone to go through what I have this past month. I hope this doesn’t sound bossy or anything but informative.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i wanted to show you my beginning tank and my finishing tank. Last picture is how it is after plants had died and had to replace some. And I was still wanting more plants for them. The very last picture was my original set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Perhaps the worst place to seek advice is from workers at Petco, Petsmart or any big chain pet supply outfit. Your resistance to taking the advice of experienced betta-keepers on this forum will likely result in the death of one of your females. Please consider separating them.

·
Super Moderator
6,275 Posts
I wish to add: when blocking line of sight, you want to block from floor to surface. If you only block the floor (whether with short plants or ornaments), they will get bullied everytime they surface for air.

There will always be risks in keeping sororities because this species is basically territorial. All depending on individual character - some more docile than others.

In many instances, after constant contact, some may lose interest and ignore tank mates. But they will fight back if the other were to challenge them. So they may look peaceful at times, but the risk will always be there.

Aggression is usually triggered by any form of stress and or changes. Moving (during water changing/cleaning), late feeding, illness . . . . Any form of stress may trigger aggression. Setting changes - adding new plants/ornaments, clipping over grown plants, adding new tenants . . . . Any changes may also trigger aggression. . . . In short, you must always be on alert when keeping sororities.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts