Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to today, I did quite a bit of research on beta fish and what types of conditions, tanks, equipment, etc. they feel most comfortable in because I'm getting older and I'm starting to truly understand that just because a fish can survive in a small tank that doesn't make it right, as well as my loving for their existence and well being rather than them just being a "pet fish". I watched many YouTube videos and found that about a 2.5-3 gallon tank would be most suitable for me because I don't have much room (fish tank is on my nightstand) but still comfortable for the fish.

This may be a lot to explain so you can instead go down and read the bolded part where I'm needing my advice for!!!

My mom doesn't like taking care of animals because she's a very busy lady and my tank I have now (I would say about 2.5 gallons) is very heavy so she or my dad takes it downstairs and I clean the whole bowl at least 1-2 times a month. I've heard how you're supposed to take only part of the water out of the tank and fill the rest with clean water every once in awhile but we don't do that because they think it gets too dirty and it's easier to just swap my fish over to a bowl and clean out the whole tank and use brand new water (conditioned of course), as well as we don't have the vacuum to do so.

My worry is about what happened today. This is my second time with the same fish tank with the lightbulb blowing out so today we went and looked for another LED light for the tank but couldn't find the one that would fit with the one that broke so we instead looked at some fish tanks. We were going to settle on a 3.5 gallon which looked the EXACT same as mine except it was a bit taller and a tiny bit wider. I was really excited because I knew my fish would love having all that space extra (he's over 2 years old now!!!). Then we came across a 2 gallon which my dad said was nicer and on sale (was about 10 dollars more but then same price because it went on sale). I told him how beta fish like bigger areas and smaller areas can stress them out, make them sick, etc. So he asked the people that worked at the store and of course they said "They live in pockets of water, that's why we sell those super tiny tanks, they can't survive in anything!!!" and of course, my dad believed him over me (one thing I learned is do your research and don't always listen to pet store workers!!! 9/10 they don't specialize in your specific type of fish and just want to sell you stuff!!!). Then we were also recommended a snail to get rid of the alga that produces after a bit of time. I also read how mystery snails live better in 5 gallon or more tank with an established community (about 1-2 snails per 5 gallons).

Also a bit of more information to add on; I got natural pebbles for at the bottom (not painted colour because that can chip and make the water toxic for the fish), an object my beta fish can hide in (no rough edges), two plants that weren't sharp so it wouldn't harm his fins although they are plastic (I'm looking into softer material, even silicon because natural would be too hard at the moment!!!), food for my snail (wafers I believe they are!!) and a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature of the tank because it gets quite cold here in Canada (

To sum up everything, I got a new 2 gallon tank and I'm wondering if putting a beta and a mystery snail in the tank together would be okay.
My concern is that:
1. My fish will live a worse life and become very stressed in the smaller tank (I will be switching them over in-between the 2 and 2.5 gallon tank)
2. My snail will have a bad life in such a small tank
3. My fish and snail (mainly snail) will be stressed because of how closely together they are
4. My beta will end up hurting my snail because of how small the tank is

I cried for over an hour because I was so worried and still am about how they would feel and adapt to the area. I don't have them in the tank yet, I cleaned everything and I have the tank with water sitting out for 24 hours before I put them both in. My mystery snail is in a little bowl just until tomorrow and my beta is in his other fish tank. Please get back to me as soon as possible, thank you so much. !!! ):

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
They should be fine. Of course, Betta are unpredictable fish so there is the possibility yours won't care for a tank mate. It's more maintenance that will be the issue.

If the tank isn't filtered, it will need two 50% water changes and vacuum. You can use a piece of airline tubing for a vacuum. It would be easier to omit substrate and use a dedicated turkey baster to remove feces and leftover food every day. If you do that, one 50% water change per week will work.

If using tap water setting out for 24 hours won't remove the additives that will kill fish and snail. You need something like SeaChem Prime.

If you use Spring or well water setting out will work; especially if you don't have a heater and are trying to temperature match when you do water changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They should be fine. Of course, Betta are unpredictable fish so there is the possibility yours won't care for a tank mate. It's more maintenance that will be the issue.

If the tank isn't filtered, it will need two 50% water changes and vacuum. You can use a piece of airline tubing for a vacuum. It would be easier to omit substrate and use a dedicated turkey baster to remove feces and leftover food every day. If you do that, one 50% water change per week will work.

If using tap water setting out for 24 hours won't remove the additives that will kill fish and snail. You need something like SeaChem Prime.

If you use Spring or well water setting out will work; especially if you don't have a heater and are trying to temperature match when you do water changes.

Thank you so much, that took a lot of weight off my shoulders. Also I have a filter on my tank and haven’t purchased a vacuum yet and I’m unsure which one would be most fit for my tank. With me having said I have a filter, approximately how often should I be changing out the water then?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I use plain airline tubing. You can find it in most pet stores or big box stores. I don't know how much it would cost in Canada, but some places sell them here for as little as $2.00 US. I believe the shortest length might be 10 feet.

With a filter you would need to do one 50% water change per week with vacuum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts