Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After weeks of cycling, I have finally added the female bettas. The tank is planted with hygrophila corymbosa, java ferns, anubias var. nana, and vallisneria spiralis. The aquarium is heated and filtered with an Aquaclear 20.

Glimmer is a beautiful Cambodian female who is my favorite. She and Apple tend to follow each other like friends, but flare at each other every once in a while too. Her name comes from how her tail glimmers when she moves around.

Apple seems to be the alpha female so far (it's only been less than a day), she is quick, and tends to chase down other bettas.

Smokey tends to swim at the bottom. When first introduced to the tank, she and Midnight fought each other to become alpha but somehow Apple ended up being alpha. Their fight must've been pretty tiring, thus she has stress stripes.

Spot is pretty tolerant of everyone around her. She appears pregnant, but bettas can't get pregnant. So I guess she is just a bit wide. She has spots on her tail, thus her namesake.

Finally, there is Midnight. She stays near the bottom of the fish tank like Smokey, and she is often the target of Apple's chases, thus her stress stripes.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Beautiful tank and lovely introduction of the girls. Are you going to be getting more girls in the future?

Spot is so cute!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Nice! And lovely fishies. I've been thinking of a sorority some day but need the room & I want to learn more first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning on adding 2 more females in the near future, but first I want to see how this set up is going along.

When I first got Spot, I thought she was an albino betta, so we were going to name her Alby. Then when I got home, she appeared more gray and I noticed her spots, so we named her Spot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started off with a sorority! It's a lot of fun.
Your girls look gorgeous, and I'm super jealous of the plants! Mine are still fake due to funding. ;p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started off with a sorority! It's a lot of fun.
Your girls look gorgeous, and I'm super jealous of the plants! Mine are still fake due to funding. ;p
Thanks! This is my first time personally keeping fish other than when I "petsitted" goldfish for a month and had a science project involving an ecoysystem w/ guppies. I just hope the plants don't die because of my super low lighting. The plants cost about $45 w/ shipping and I don't want anything to die anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Looks good! Love Apple!
Still kind of sparse at the top, maybe throw in a fake floating plant at the top till the real ones grow in?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any recommendations for floating plants? I want to keep this tank "au naturel" in the plants region. Maybe for a smaller tank I would like silk/plastic plants, but not this one.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
A hornwort will fill the top well. It'll grow fast and add a new texture in ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts