Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 20galH with 10 ember tetras and 2 cherry shrimp and have plans for a future betta. i would love a school of kuhlis but don't know if it would be better to add more tetras instead? or could i get both? i'm currently waiting for my plants to fill in before i get any new species but like to have everything planned out.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The only potential problem with a 20g High is it isn't really that big in terms of footprint, and since most fish swim horizontally instead of vertically, that means it's not ideal for a lot of species. I am not very familiar with Kuhli loaches but I believe they get pretty big- 5" was a common estimate- so I am not sure I'd really recommend them for a tank with your dimensions even though the water volume is sufficient.

A smaller bottom-dweller you could consider is a shoal of Cory catfish, most of their species would be happy in a tank your size. Just make sure the substrate on the bottom isn't too rough, since they have sensitive barbels which can be damaged by sharp gravel.

Or Ottos, but I don't have much experience with them at all except to know that they love planted tanks since they eat a lot of algae.

Or another school of tetras or rasboras would go great in your tank. Many of them are on the small side so in a 20g you can have a large enough shoal to make them feel secure and not nip at your future betta.

In general, AqAdvisor is a fantastic resource for figuring out what species do well in your tank! I plugged Kuhli loaches in and they're saying that a 20gH is okay for them, so definitely talk to someone who has kept them before instead of taking my word for it since it might be just fine after all. :)

As for a betta, there's a bit of a myth that they can't be in tall tanks- which you clearly don't believe already. If the water is properly oxygenated then there's no danger of them "drowning" if they can't get to the surface. But still, many bettas do prefer to have access to the air and can get tired swimming up and down a tall tank if their fins are long and heavy. So I always suggest having plants with broad leaves- real or fake, just not stiff plastic which can be sharp- that go all the way to the surface, to provide lots of resting places.

Lots of plants will also help keep the community peaceful, no matter what species you decide on, because it means more places to hide and breaks up the fish's line of sight so they're not constantly watching the other fish.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a group of five kuhlii loaches in a 120l tank, but I think a 20gallon will also fit for them because they are more on the lazy side. They like to hide between rocks or in this little clay tubes and stick their heads out when it goes to feeding time. But they really need sand as ground, to dig their little head in while seaching for food and don’t hurt their belly. If you have snails you won’t have them afterwards, my kuhliis love them, as snack. But they go well with all other fish, also ancistrus catfish’s. If they will do fine with your shrimp I don’t know.
They stay on the ground so you can get another group of tiny tetras - but also think about water quality, more fish means more waterchanges. So I would recommend your group of tetras, maybe add two or three fish more, four or five kuhliis and a betta.

·
Super Moderator
19,227 Posts
Kuhli loaches need sand substrate, lots of water flow and oxygenation and at least six. Species profiles indicate a 20H is the minimum size for these fish (24"). So I would reconsider; especially as they are shoaling fish and should have a bare minimum of six.

Habrosus Cory are my favorite bottom feeders. Small so you can have seven or eight in a 20H. Rasboras come in several colors. However, I love my Ember Tetra and are so neat the more you have. If you get a Plakat (short-fin) Betta you could have Neons; but not if you have a long-fin as Neons can be extremely nippy.

Adult shrimp are usually fine but not so the babies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kuhli loaches need sand substrate, lots of water flow and oxygenation and at least six. Species profiles indicate a 20H is the minimum size for these fish (24"). So I would reconsider; especially as they are shoaling fish and should have a bare minimum of six.

Habrosus Cory are my favorite bottom feeders. Small so you can have seven or eight in a 20H. Rasboras come in several colors. However, I love my Ember Tetra and are so neat the more you have. If you get a Plakat (short-fin) Betta you could have Neons; but not if you have a long-fin as Neons can be extremely nippy.

Adult shrimp are usually fine but not so the babies.
planning on a plakat, as i rather enjoy the shorter fins. Already have 10 embers as my research suggested they make great betta tankmates, but wondering how many more I should get.

·
Super Moderator
19,227 Posts
Five or six. A lot depends on filtration.

www.aqadvisor.com tends to be a bit conservative but is a good general guideline because it takes filtration into consideration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts