Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Unfortunately, my betta recently died. I don't want to leave such a great forum, so I'm hoping you'll tolerate a question unrelated to bettas.

Now I have a 20gal long tank with 4 oto catfish. And I'm wondering what some other (non-betta) options are for tank mates. (I might eventually buy another betta, but I will probably give him his own home. Right now, I just want to try something different.)

Someone suggested adding a pair of German Blue Rams and a school of cardinal tetras. Does anybody think that I have enough space for that? Or does anybody have a better suggestion for what to put in with my otos?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,451 Posts
You'll get more replies in "Other Fish" so I'm moving this thread.

In the meantime:

I have a 20 long with a Plakat, Neon Tetra, Espei Tetra (they "glow"), Ember Tetra, Oto, Habrosus and Pygmy Cories.

If you have a fully-mature your tank you can also have shrimp or crays. I have Bamboo, Vampire and Sakura Red Shrimp and two types of dwarf crays. I have all Nano/Micro fish and run two filters which allows for more residents than if I had larger fish.

Just remember that you need to turn up the filter to get good current.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
GBRs & Cardinals would be fine in a 20 long. My only concern would be the GBRs temperature requirements. I would keep them in the 80-82° range. Which would be fine for the cardinals but maybe not so much for the otos.

If you get a pair of GBRs and they pair of and decide to spawn, things could get rough for your otos. A single specimen, male or female would avoid this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd prefer one GBR if spawning and aggression is going to be an issue, but would it do alright without a partner? i wasn't sure if a pair was required.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yes, a single GBR will be fine. Even If you buy two GBRs, a male & female it doesn't guarantee a pair, cichlids don't work that way. It's best to buy 5 juveniles and let them pair off naturally and re-home the rest if you absolutely want a pair.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I think I will just buy one GBR then if it will be okay. With the otos and a school of tetra, I worry that a 20gal won't be enough space for two GBRs. I don't want things to be too crowded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts