Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm looking to get a new heater for my 2.5 gallon tank. I've got a Marina Hagen 25 watt in it now, but no where can I find that it's FULLY submersible and I have a deep tank, so the bottom of my tank is freezing while the top is toasty.
I'm torn between the Hydor 25 watt and Hydor 50 watt- same size, same price. I have a Hydor 25 watt in my other 2.5 gallon and the tank is never as warm as I'd like it to be, even with the heater set to 82. I have a 50 watt in my 3 gallon tank, and the temperature is always steady and warm.
I'm leaning towards the 50 watt, as the winters here are frigid, but I'm a bit nervous to put it into my 2.5 gallon tank.
Help, please!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
if you read OP's post, they have a hydro theo 25watt in a 2.5 gallon and it doesn't keep the water as warm as they would like it. That is why I think the OP should go with the 50watt. Not just tanks size but also air temperature goes into which size heater to get. For example. The tank that is by the wall of my apartment that is an outside wall needs a 50watt to stay at 80 degrees during the winter but my other two tanks are fine with a 25watt.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd go with the 50W, the nice thing about adjustables is that they won't overheat the tank. Just keep an eye on the thermometer. I have my hydor set to 78 but it really heats up to 80 according to several of my thermometers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm actually debating biting the bullet and moving Sherlock up to a 50 watt as well... his 25 watt is set at 82 and his thermometer says around 70. That being said, outside it's 0F not counting the wind chill, and we don't use heat very much in this house. I'd be surprised if my room's above 55.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come to think of it, I'll just move Watson's 25 watt into Sherlock's tank and then he'll have two 25 watt heaters. I know that sounds a bit obsessive, but my room is truthfully one of the coldest rooms of the house. This is after re-doing windows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.