Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I have just set up a new tank 28L (~7g) and am waiting for the food to decompose and start the cycling.

My tank is 31cm long, 30cm deep and 30 cm tall.
I currently have a decent amount of hair grass, blyxa j. and java moss and I am planning on putting in another plant in the hole on the right (if you look at the photo linked at the end of this post.)
I also have a rock which has a few caves throughout it and a little cup ornament which is also a cave.
I have an Aqua One 1500 Air Pump, 30 sponge filter (think the 30 stands for 30 L?), a 55W heater and 11W light. (My tank is actually a second hand Aqua One AquaStart 320).

I was hoping to get 1 x betta male probably just a veil tail, then perhaps 2 x crystal red shrimp and 6 x red cherry shrimp...

Firstly, I have heard bad things about betta-shrimp relations (namely betta eating shrimp) and I was wondering if that would be pretty well eliminated if from having the caves and a number of plants?

Secondly, I went on aqadvisor.com and I found that my tank (without a filter - couldn't figure out what to say my filter was) would be at 74% stocking level. But it had a warning that betta males and the shrimp I said were bad together and that I should investigate more. Some people say that the betta will eat them all, some people say that they haven't had a problem - I am aware that some bettas are more aggressive due to their personality etc... anyway I am super confused as you can tell.

Thirdly, if I do get the betta male and the shrimp, I was planning on putting the shrimp in first and then introducing the betta second as I heard that the betta will be less likely to be aggressive this way. Is this true?

Also, let me know what you think of my first tank :)

Thank you muchly! :thankyou:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo187/jlmoore951/tank from front missing a plant_zpslhvuej5f.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
It can work, but you need a LOT more cover for the shrimps. Think an aquarium jungle, with 2/3rds of the space full of plants.

I did this, in an aquarium pretty much exactly that size. My betta, Silky, would definitely hassle the shrimp, but they'd also generally leave each other alone. Sometimes, the shrimp would steal Silky's food, and once or twice, Silky ate a shrimp. But, they had enough cover, and bred enough, that there was always a number of shrimp around.

Plus, Silky loved cruising through the jungle.

If, of course, you never want to see a dead shrimp, this is not a good idea.

You could also end up with a very timid betta, that never touches them, or a highly aggressive fish that murders them all.

A group of 5 shrimps, three females / two males, should have you with plenty of shrimp forever, given more hiding space than there is now. Six will also be fine, but the group of two will likely disappear when one of them gets eaten. Get three more and your odds are better.

Java moss is great for baby shrimps.

Here's a picture:

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts