Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what else can i put in?

I'm currently setting up a 29G planted Tank and plan to start adding fish beginning of September.

I was thinking about starting with a few female Bettas ( 5 ) but what else can i put in the tank?
I always had a thing for Guppies ( purple Moscows), even debating just turning it into a guppytank.
So my questions are:

Would it work out?
What would you guys suggest?

I'm having a real hard time deciding..lol..

this is the Tank ( more plants should come sometimes next week, and the bamboo was taking out)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Sororities arent really recommended anymore. But they can still be done. I have 8 in my 29 heavily planted. I dont like it to much, i dont know why. So i am splitting them up and putting them in different tanks. If you do do a sorority add A LOT more plants, and do like 8 females. The guppy tank will work as well. It is all up to you. Sororities are cool, it just doesnt go with my tank. I would do one in this tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
349 Posts
Having a community sorority I suggest to have a bit more plants for the girls to hide in and out of. They like lots of places to play in and if there is a fight they can dissapear into the plants. A cave or hollow driftwood piece could work for them as long as the corners aren't too small or sharp.

I have atleast 30 ramshorns snails, 3 neon tetras, 3 glowlight tetras, and 1 albino bristlenose pleco (adding two more but will sell them once they get too big for the tank). It's not recommended to have groups of tetras in groups less than 6, so if you get a schooling fish get atleast 6 of the same kind.

The lucky bamboo you have in the back will have to be removed because if the leaves are in the water, the entire plant will rot and die. Other than that you have a great setup and I hope to read more about your sorority.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
That is improper stocking, sorry to say. I have seen pictures of an oscar in a bowl. So it doesnt really mine anything. I have kept males with female bettas, do i recommend it, no. Flint has two male bettas together. But does she keep on telling people it, no. Cuz many people will then do it, and it will no work. Same thing with this, many beginners will say "oh this girl did it, so why cant i?". Than they will have very stressed out fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
674 Posts
I actually have 3 glow light tetras with 5 neon tetras. They all school together completely fine. I also had a sorority tank, but that failed after 6 months. Now I have a mix of tetras and endlers livebearer now. Endlers Livebearer are part of the guppy family, so they breed non stop and so far I'm enjoying the new fry.

·
Registered
548 Posts
That is hardly lightly planted, unfortunately. This is what you need absolute minimum to have a potentially successful sorority -

As aforementioned, sororities have an extremely high fail rate due to the stress of keeping them together. I highly suggest going with guppies, some harlequin rasboras and a school of cories along with a pleco or a couple mystery snails. Personally, I like these numbers -

15 guppies
10 harlequin rasboras
8 cories (any kind but emerald, I prefer panda)
1 bristlenose pleco OR 3 mystery snails

As a side note, I would prefer my boys not be brought up as examples of anything. They were brought together by accident and it is likely never to be seen again this century, if they don't hurt one another in the near future. They are not some experiment or standard and I just really don't want that used as an example. Thank you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all,

I really think im going to stick with a Guppy tank, since i like them anyways ;)

My worries were/are that the sorority will fail and create a big disaster ....

Like i said in my first post, the Bamboo has been removed already ( i didnt know about that, until someone here in the forum mentioned it a while back) and more plants should be here next week.

This time i want to get it right. I had to leave my 55G Tank back in germany when i moved to the states and had alot of bad luck with trying to get a planted tank since i moved here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes they are very popular in europe.. and i used to have planted tanks back in germany. They mostly had Guppies or Swordtails in it.

Here in the states, espc. where i live, the varity of plants is really.. uhm low and the quality not the best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.