Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just got a new 3.5 gallon tank and realized that I want to start using real plants rather than fake. My tank is tall rather than wide, has a heater and decent filter. I've never used real plants in my tank before and I'm wondering which ones are best for it and what I should buy? I'm buying at PetSmart by the way!!! I'm also using natural gravel rather than sand because it may be too difficult for me and I'm looking into getting some driftwood. I have a mystery snail as well if that makes any difference. Thanks so much!!!

· Registered
173 Posts
Once you buy a live plant you'll be hooked! They're fantastic in any tank. Anubias, Anubias, Anubias! They're by far the easiest plant I've had. If you're at PetSmart in Toronto, they may not look very good, if they have any Anubias at all. In fact, most of their plants are in pretty poor shape. Again, if in TO, go to Big Al's. They have the most beautiful plants and a huge variety. No matter where you are, if you can get an Anubias it'll provide lots of coverage and resting places for your buddy. However, I find them ridiculously expensive at close to $25 for some of them.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once you buy a live plant you'll be hooked! They're fantastic in any tank. Anubias, Anubias, Anubias! They're by far the easiest plant I've had. If you're at PetSmart in Toronto, they may not look very good, if they have any Anubias at all. In fact, most of their plants are in pretty poor shape. Again, if in TO, go to Big Al's. They have the most beautiful plants and a huge variety. No matter where you are, if you can get an Anubias it'll provide lots of coverage and resting places for your buddy. However, I find them ridiculously expensive at close to $25 for some of them.
Thanks for your suggestion! I really appreciate it and I'll definitely look for some, I'm unsure on how to care for them and the benefits but I'll definitely do my research. I live about an hour away from Toronto, Kitchener Waterloo is where I'm from. I've seen some of the plants there and they seem fine!!!

· Registered
43 Posts
I had an Amazon Sword that was super easy to care for when I first set up my tank. I’m embarrassed to admit that I quit fertilizing it and it did end up dying, but honestly it was so easy to care for. You’re making me want to go get another one and an Anubias! I have an anubias in one of my tanks and I do nothing with it. Not even fertilizer. And it has been doing great. Staying small, but super healthy! I know the plants are so good for the tanks! Good luck!

· Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Some tips for buying of of petsmart are to come recently after they ship in, that way you get good pickings. Also another thing to remember is that your tank will grow in it wont start off looking like those amazing pics on the internet. Have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.