Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I got a 60g tank for my birthday. :) I currently have 3 small community planted tanks (8g, 10g, 20g) - each one has a betta. I am wondering if it would be possible to move everyone into the larger tank if I heavily, heavily plant it (with a lot of floating plants)? Or would this not work? I currently have 1 (very large!) female crowntail betta, a halfmoon male betta, and a plakat (visually impaired a bit...he's a dragonscale and his eyes are covered up by pigment a little!) male. None of them are aggressive with their tankmates, but the female does chase around the tetras every once and a while. Her tank is right by the halfmoon male's and they can see each other. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You could divide the 10g into three and house the Bettas there, and then put all the other fish into the 60g. But putting those Bettas all together in a 60g tank is a big no no. You'll end up with dead fish, the Bettas could be attacking the other fish as well to fight for the female. Just a bad bad situation!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I knew someone wih a heavily planted 65 gallon tank with a sorority along with 2 males, it is highly unlikely that it will work as the person I knew had all siblings that were together from birth

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It's still not something we encourage new Betta owners to try. Just because it may have worked momentarily for one person, doesn't mean it's something that should be done. Bettas are an aggressive breed, and males should not be housed together no matter how large the tank is. For the sake of the Bettas in question, just don't do it. There are some on here who have male/female tanks, but these are from selected breedings for least aggressive behavior and spawn siblings. Also this person has many many years of experience with breeding and Bettas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's still not something we encourage new Betta owners to try. Just because it may have worked momentarily for one person, doesn't mean it's something that should be done. Bettas are an aggressive breed, and males should not be housed together no matter how large the tank is. For the sake of the Bettas in question, just don't do it. There are some on here who have male/female tanks, but these are from selected breedings for least aggressive behavior and spawn siblings. Also this person has many many years of experience with breeding and Bettas.
Oh, I'm not a new betta owner though. :-? I've had bettas for about 10 yrs now (and have lots of reef tank experience) but haven't tried out multiples (except for a few sororities!) in the same tank. Considering they're ok in their community tanks, do you think it would even be worth trying if I had it heavily planted with top floating plants..? To be honest, I think my parents bought me the tank with the expectation that I would put everyone in it (as all my small tanks are by each other). :|

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I've had Bettas since 2005, and I wouldn't do it honestly. The problem is, Bettas and other fish will work (most times) but when you have two males in a tank, they will "smell" each other through the water. There was a study done where they took two males, and put them in the middle of a large lake. All that room for them to claim their own territory. But the males stayed in the middle of the lake and fought with each other. Now imagine them in a 60g tank :( I don't know, it's really up to you as it's your fish, and your tank. But if there is a slight possibility one or more fish will be harmed while doing this, I cannot in good conscious advise you to attempt it. A Bettas life is more important to me than someones space issues or curiosity :)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I never said anything about trying it........
You altered your first comment, the one that suggested this could be done because your friend did it. You later added that they were spawn siblings together since birth, that wasn't there when I commented :)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
You can divide the larger tank, that'd be better. Just make sure your halfmoon male doesn't have a lot of trouble swimming in a huge space- some heavily finned fish hate large spaces.
You've owned betta for a long time, and I can tell you're a good owner since you have them in such big homes. But talking a tank like this.. I know people that do this, but they have bred the fish for generations to make them less agressive like Pitluvs said.. Your fish are all unrelated, weren't fry together, and therefore it would be a bad idea ;)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
You altered your first comment, the one that suggested this could be done because your friend did it. You later added that they were spawn siblings together since birth, that wasn't there when I commented :)
Oh yes, sorry. I re-read it before you made the comment Becasue the information I provided wasn't well written at all. I didn't notice your comment when I edited, sorry,

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Oh yes, sorry. I re-read it before you made the comment Becasue the information I provided wasn't well written at all. I didn't notice your comment when I edited, sorry,
Bah, no need to be sorry lol I like your second comment much more anyways :)

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Bettas are control freaks. They could care less about territory as long as they are in charge of all the fish.

If they were young males or siblings it MIGHT work but I don't recommend it. I believe bettas see about 3 feet in distance so in order for a set up to work each male betta would have to have three feet in every direction to himself and lots of live plants.

Bettas fight for control and later to prove they are the strongest. The biggest, toughest, female breeds to the alpha male.

I have housed siblings together but that spawn never got aggressive. I recommend just keeping them seperate.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Just a quick quote. I don't recommend keeping them together, just showing that it can be done, yet is very unlikely, PS. Th

has successfully kept 2 male bettas in a 260 liter (approx 57 imp gallons / 68 US gallons), along with a whole load of female bettas! I started off buying 6 females from my lfs then adding to their numbers with purchases from elsewhere. These purchases included a breeding pair of gorgeous copper dragon HM's. I added the girl to my tank and put the boy in a fry floater whilst I did some maintenance on his new home. There was no flaring from him and by the time I returned to the tank to remove him from his floater trap he was no longer in it, but swimming away happily with all my girls! No flaring and no aggression from any one of them! As my original 6 grew I notice that one of them was becoming a bit 'stroppy'. After posting pics of her on here I realised that he was infact a young PK male. I removed him from the tank and all was well. Checking out the other females I noticed another of my original 6 that looked just like the one that I'd discovered to be male. Yes,- I definitely had another male! The only thing I needed to change in the tank however was her name! My two boys made their 'home' at opposite ends of the tank,- but regularly swam into each others territories or met in the middle. There was never ever any aggression between either of them with each other, or with/from any of the girls.

I know most people would say you cannot or should not keep males together,- but I personally think it just depends on the nature of the individual betta. They are all so very different! I would not intentionally add another male in with my girls once both my males have passed on,- but I see no reason to change anything in my tank whilst they are all so peaceful together! I am very lucky I know to have found two such placid, laid back boys!

My tank is very densely planted with java fern at each end and floating amazon frogbit. Lots of places for them all to rest in and call their own
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/374930-three-males-one-tank/page__st__20

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Considering my two females found each other in a heavily planted 45 gallon tank in the course of a few minutes and proceeded to beat each other up until I separated them, I would advise against it.

I thought they'd be fine because they'd lived together before and had more than enough space for the both of them. Obviously, that was not the case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi everyone,
I got a 60g tank for my birthday. :) I currently have 3 small community planted tanks (8g, 10g, 20g) - each one has a betta. I am wondering if it would be possible to move everyone into the larger tank if I heavily, heavily plant it (with a lot of floating plants)? Or would this not work? I currently have 1 (very large!) female crowntail betta, a halfmoon male betta, and a plakat (visually impaired a bit...he's a dragonscale and his eyes are covered up by pigment a little!) male. None of them are aggressive with their tankmates, but the female does chase around the tetras every once and a while. Her tank is right by the halfmoon male's and they can see each other. Thanks!
3 betta in a 60g tank, if i was you i would not worry about it. To me, it is more likely people choice. If your tank is big and have plenty of plants and hiding spots, don't worry too much.
See my tank, that's a 55g and i do have plants and few nice spots for them to hide. I have close to 100 females inside plus i add a giant short tail male to control the group and i am not worry about it. You have only 3. Why don't you try it for yourself and see their behavior toward each other. If you worry too much then separate them if not then you will be just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
I heard that someone else kept bettas with eachother in a 70gal (i think?) but they were wild bettas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts