Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry may of put this in the wrong spot!!! :(

I am in need of trying to figure out what maybe wrong with my boy Floki, we have had him for 8 months now and even bred him with one of our females. Saturday when I fed him he did not eat, next morning notices he was staying at the top of his tank and not acknowledging us. Did my weekly water change and took about 50%, (I use spring water to fill back up) and trimmed all his plants back then fed him about an hour or so later and still wouldn't eat, when I stir him up, (meaning wiggle my finger in his tank), he pops his head out of the water and takes three big breaths and then swims at the top around the glass for a second or two and then stops and looks lifeless once again. Here is what I have tried and eliminated....

Checked for Bloat
1. Backed food off
2. Gave him a shelled pea
3. Still will not touch food when presented
4. Sometime when in area without a plant he will slowly go vertical (tail down and mouth at top of water line)
There are really no signs of his belly being bloated or anything else for that matter

***NEXT***

Checked for Dropsy
1. No pine coning of scales
2. Not staying on the bottom of the tank
3. Not laying on side
4. Again no belly swelling

So I think there is something else going on with him, he looks healthy no spots, no rot, no rusty scales, no belly bloat, as a matter of fact he is pretty sleek... not skinny by any means but sleek and he has his color still. I am worried about him and any suggestions would be very helpful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A picture or a video might help, peas are a slightly controversial subject. Have you thought about daphnia?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A picture or a video might help, peas are a slightly controversial subject. Have you thought about daphnia?

I am at work at the moment but as soon as I get home I can defiantly get some pictures, as for the daphnia there is a ton of live ones in his tank, I actually been saving cup fulls to add to our other fresh water tanks in the house.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got home not much changed tried to feed hand him a blood worm then a brine shrimp and he was not having any of it... I attached pictures it would not let me post video on my phone so I will try to figure that out if not I will post it tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so it still will not let me upload a video but it really does not matter, I tried to feed him by hand again this morning before left for work and he is still not eating...I am getting very worried cause if he does not eat tonight it will have been 4 days and I have read they could die after not eating for 5 days, I really do not want to lose him he is such a handsome boy and lives up to his name.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!!

Should I give him a salt bath tonight?
I dunno what else to do...... :crying:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really cannot help you much by the pictures or by your description. I would say use catappa leafs if you have them make a tea infusion so it works faster then wait for the tea to cool to room temperature. If I'm not mistaken the measurements are 2 spoons per gallon of water. But putting him in a salt bath wouldn't do any harm either, and also maybe using stress coat? There are also fungal infections that may cause a fish not to eat so that could also be an idea. If that desperate call a vet that specializes in tropical fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really cannot help you much by the pictures or by your description. I would say use catappa leafs if you have them make a tea infusion so it works faster then wait for the tea to cool to room temperature. If I'm not mistaken the measurements are 2 spoons per gallon of water. But putting him in a salt bath wouldn't do any harm either, and also maybe using stress coat? There are also fungal infections that may cause a fish not to eat so that could also be an idea. If that desperate call a vet that specializes in tropical fish.

Thanks JettaBetta, There is always a catappa leaf in his tank, I will try the salt bath tonight and see what happens... Le SIGH:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
18,374 Posts
I am on my phone so can't link. However, if you will look at the top of this subforum you will see a sticky "Please Fill..." It has the questions we need answered so we can best help you. Without the information all anyone can do is guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am on my phone so can't link. However, if you will look at the top of this subforum you will see a sticky "Please Fill..." It has the questions we need answered so we can best help you. Without the information all anyone can do is guess.
So I pretty much have all the answers to these in my first post, but I am a team player so here ya go............:wink3:

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 4gal but planted so about 3.5
Does it have a filter? no
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? In between 75 and 80 always in the green.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes air stone
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes, 2 snails and 5 small shrimp

Food:
What food brand do you use? San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen
Do you feed flakes or pellets? no
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week plus added water through the week.
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Spring Water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Turkey Baster
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? None

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0/.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.0/6.5
Hardness (GH): 0
Alkalinity (KH): 0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Sat/Sun morning
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? no
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? yes
Is your Betta still eating? no
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Read Post
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? 8 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no

·
Super Moderator
2,397 Posts
Have you checked the source for your spring water.
I know some companies use straight tap water and some use RO water. If the spring water is the latter, a mineral deficiency would explain his action and his somewhat dull coloration (or the coloration in the picture could just be the camera). If this is the case, you would have to re-mineralize the water with something line Seachem Equilibrium.

You also mentioned San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen, which food in particular or is he getting a combination?
You mentioned he was looking sleek, is he losing weight or has he been maintaining his size?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you checked the source for your spring water.
I know some companies use straight tap water and some use RO water. If the spring water is the latter, a mineral deficiency would explain his action and his somewhat dull coloration (or the coloration in the picture could just be the camera). If this is the case, you would have to re-mineralize the water with something line Seachem Equilibrium.

You also mentioned San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen, which food in particular or is he getting a combination?
You mentioned he was looking sleek, is he losing weight or has he been maintaining his size?
Not sure as to what is in the spring water, I usually use Deer Park or any other name brand that would be on sale and I really never go past 25% except for this past weekend just to see if that was the issue, I tested his water before the water change and after and it was good both times. I will definitely go get some of that tonight for him though.
I give him a mix of brine and blood worms together and the occasional treat of flight less fruit flies, (have not given those in a while though).
He has always been a dullish color that is why I fell in love with him, being he was so different then the others and he has always been sleek. He has grown since we brought him home but other then that I have not seen tremendous weight gain like my females...lol I attached a picture of him from a month or so ago(top) and one from last night(bottom) as a comparison.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,397 Posts
Deer park water isn't RO, it's filtered, UV sterilized and remineralized. I don't know the exact mineral components but I can't imagine it's too far off.
I know San Francisco Bay used to be good food, they're now hit or miss on their food and unless he's actively losing weight, it's probably not a parasitic infection.

What I would try next is to get some airline tubing, use it as a siphon to clean the floor of his tank. Wave your hand and try to get some of the loose debris. That should help lower the TDS (total dissolved solids) in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,397 Posts
I'll give it a shot.... so you think the minerals are ok then?
TBH, given the current state of the bottled water industry, I don't entirely trust any information that is out there for them. I won't say that it definitely is not the issue, just that all publicly available information points to it being fine. I know it's a little evasive, but I've maybe done a little too much investigation on bottled water.

Unless there is something really wrong with your tap water, I always recommend that with Seachem Prime. Just know tap water is more rigorously tested than bottled water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hahaha completely understand that you can never be to careful, and yeah my tap water use to be amazing till they put a huge development down the street and now you can smell the chlorine in it, I do not even drink it unless I absolutely need too so I try not to use it when possible for the fishies!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just looked up the disease he has and it seems like the only way he could have gotten it is if it came from his food? Im not sure and this is just the first link that came up but heres what it says...

"Non-salmonids may become infected by ingesting tissue of infected salmonids. Similarly, transmission to non-salmonids can occur where fish caught for feed are taken from waters near an outbreak.

Susceptibility to the disease increases with damaged mucous and skin, such as occurs when fish are handled with nets."

I dont THINK bettas are salmonoids so thats the only way I could think of but itd just my theory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/quote]Well at least now you know what he has. Hope he gets better soon!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thank you Jettabetta

1 - 20 of 24 Posts