Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have had my male betta sam for about 7 months. He lives in a 3 gallon tank byhimself, and I was wondering that after he gets healthier, what kind of fish or water animals could he live with in the tank? I think he is pretty friendly...
I am willing to upgrade to maybe a 5.5 gallon tank if that would be better...
Thanks!:)

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
It's really hard to have anything except maybe a snail in a three-gallon. In a 5.5 you could have a small shoal (six) of some species of Nano fish. I don't recommend shrimp.

To be successful you'll need a tank planted heavily enough with silk or real plants that you have to take a second look to spot your Betta. You shouldn't be able to see from front to back or side to side.

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I personally don't suggest getting tank mates for anything smaller than a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I’ll look into the shoal and if I do decide to get him any tank-mattes, I think I wll upgrade and get a 5 or ten gallon tank.
Are ADFs good in a five gallon, or do they need a ten?

Also, yesterday i was at the petstore and they had some really nice male guppies. Do guppies do okay with bettas, or are they to brightly colored?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I personally think ADF's should be in a species only tank however there are plenty of users here that would say 2 ADF's (they need friends) would work with a betta in a 10g.

Guppies make poor tank mates! they have colorful long flowy fins that a betta will go after.

·
Registered
246 Posts
On the guppies It would depend on the temperament of your betta. Personally I haven't had any problems with the betta/guppy mix but my betta is pretty docile. I wouldn't recommend adding them into anything smaller than a ten gallon with heavy foliage. How that helps!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your input!
Hmm. Guppies might work with Aam, he’s pretty friendly and calm...I have a couple opptions here.

1: Get 2 ADFs, a ten gallon and get real plants...
2:Get guppies and ton of real plants with a ten gallon....
3: Get a twenty gallon and possibly do a couple ADFs, maybe snail, guppies and put Sam in there?

I wonder of female guppies would be better because they are a little more plain....

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Guppies make poor tank mates! they have colorful long flowy fins that a betta will go after.
How has that myth stayed alive this long??
If a betta goes after a guppy with long flowing colourful fins, it's going to go after a similar fish with short dull fins. They have no special aggression towards colour and long fins.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
How has that myth stayed alive this long??
If a betta goes after a guppy with long flowing colourful fins, it's going to go after a similar fish with short dull fins. They have no special aggression towards colour and long fins.
Amen! If a Betta can't live with a male Guppy it probably can't live with anything else. And the reason has nothing to do with finnage but everything to do with Betta temperament and the high activity level of the Guppies.

You can have three ADF in a 5.5 gallon; their bioload is no more than a large Tetra. However, you need good filtration with them or any other tank mates. I use internal filters in my 5.5 gallons suitable for 20 gallons. They have spray bars so there's no problem with too much current. According to all the frog forums where I lurk three is the preferred minimum. ADF are extremely social and need species companions to be comfortable. BTW, experienced froggers usually suggest Betta first when asked about fish tank mates for ADF. :)

I have six in my 10 gallon with a Betta and Nano fish with no issues whatsoever. The ADF are out and about constantly. I have no problem feeding because I have a "dish" where I place their Frog and Tadpole Bites and ReptoTreat Bloodworms. When I feed live or frozen I feed everyone the same.

While I believe a 10 gallon or more is better for ADF that's an opinion and not based on concrete evidence or scientific research. Unfortunately, you will find most opinions on proper tank size are just that: Opinions. The one thing I do know from experience is the more you have the better. Clayton and Esmeralda were "fine" when it was just the two of them. But when I added Minerva, Jeffery and two more they really started to shine!

The best thing I can advise is to get the largest tank you can afford and for which you have room. Keep in mind ADF are air breathers so no decor without a "roof" escape route. They are not terribly bright and might not figure out how to escape and drown. And no tank that's more than 18" from substrate to waterline.

Oh, and with ADF you don't need as heavily a planted tank. A couple of terra cotta pots (without holes) gives them nice hides and a small terra cotta saucer works great as a feeding dish.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much, guys! I think I am going to get a ten gallon with the 3 or 4 adfs and maybe add the guppies after the adfs are settled in. Are slik plants okay for adfs?

Sam is better today, but still can’t swim properly. i am staring to think that he has a premanent crick in his back. Being a little handicaped, should he still be able to have friends, or should I get a seperate ten gallon for the guppies and frogs?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snails....Do they make the water dirtier?

Alos, would it be a proablem to get about 7 guppies and 3 adfs+ Sam in the 3.5 gallon for a little while, whle I work on the new tank? Sam is pretty calm and rests and sleeps a lot more, so I think it would be okay to have them in a little more tight quarters for a while, since after his illness and injury he had mellowed out a lot more.
I originally thought my tank was 2.5 gallon,s then 3, but today I found out that it is aprox. 3.5 gallons. I can post pictures of it if you want to see it...If I get the guppies and adfs and they have to stay in the 3.5 I still will get the bigger filter, the one that is above water. As ong as the current stays down for Sam, who has a harder time swimming now. Poor guy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Alos, would it be a proablem to get about 7 guppies and 3 adfs+ Sam in the 3.5 gallon for a little while, whle I work on the new tank? Sam is pretty calm and rests and sleeps a lot more, so I think it would be okay to have them in a little more tight quarters for a while, since after his illness and injury he had mellowed out a lot more.
I originally thought my tank was 2.5 gallon,s then 3, but today I found out that it is aprox. 3.5 gallons. I can post pictures of it if you want to see it...If I get the guppies and adfs and they have to stay in the 3.5 I still will get the bigger filter, the one that is above water. As ong as the current stays down for Sam, who has a harder time swimming now. Poor guy.
Thanks!
No. First of all, all new tankmates need to be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks before being placed with your current fish to prevent spread of disease. Second, a 3.5g with a betta and 7 guppies and 3 frogs is going to crash FAST. There will be no where for the animals to get away from each other, resulting in stress and aggression, and even with frequent water changes there's no way to keep up with that bioload in that small of a tank.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Snails....Do they make the water dirtier?
Yes, they do. I have a 1,5 year old apple snail in my community tank. He's larger than a golf ball and poops like he is going for the world record... Looks lovely (purple striped shell, white leg), but makes a huge mess. If I could start over, I wouldn't pick a snail.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you get live plants, you won't need to worry as much about the poop if it's heavily planted. And mystery snails poop the most, so I've read. I personally used to be totally averted to snails, but now that I have a planted tank I think they're cute as a button and they keep the algae down.

Since you're interested in ADF, here's a thread of LittleRose's with hers in a 10 with a betta.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all so much for reading and answering my posts so fast!
My best friend is a total fish nut and has had a suscussesful tank that was 3 gallons, stocked with 5 guppies, a betta and two adfs...He says that that was best for his fishes/frogs, but his betta was older and super mellow, and Sam is younger though...I think I might start out with the frogs, get Sam used to them in the 3.5 gallon, them when the bigger tank is ready add the guppies.
Also, aren’t guppies suposed to live in bigger groups, around 6 or 7?
Sound good? I don’t want any fishes / frogs to have a rough start in the 3.5 gallon....
For quarentine, when I get the guppies I have a huge vase (Glass) That I can but some silk plants in and they can be in there for a while. The vase is giant, and I think I might of actually got it at a petstore...
For the frogs, I should be able to use the bg vase, right? It’s more wide the tall, not over 18’.
Thank you all so much for answering all my newbie questions. I have never had any other fish besdies Sam, so this is a start...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would keep the smaller tank up and running until I was sure Sam was okay with tank mates. And, yes, silk plants work for the ADF. I only have live plants so I don't know how Guppies do with them.

Have fun. :)
I will defiantly not get any fish untill Sam is better. uppies are pretty quick, and I don’t want him to get stressed with them untill he can handle it...
Oh, thank my dumb phone for all the odd typos...:lol:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No. First of all, all new tankmates need to be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks before being placed with your current fish to prevent spread of disease. Second, a 3.5g with a betta and 7 guppies and 3 frogs is going to crash FAST. There will be no where for the animals to get away from each other, resulting in stress and aggression, and even with frequent water changes there's no way to keep up with that bioload in that small of a tank.
Okay. I am super new at this, and I have gotten bad advice from uniformed petstore people. Confusing. :-?
I will defiantly get the bigger tank, then. Thanks so much for telling me! i don’t want to stress Sam out and buy fish that won’t be doing well....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.