Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, need some help/advice here w Odin. Ive had him now for 3 weeks, in a 10 gallon semi planted tank, parameters are ammonia 0ppm Nitrate 0ppm nitrite 0ppm. My issue is ive had him now for 3 weeks and i cant get him to eat more than 1 or 1 1/2 New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets..he will eat freeze dried BWs but i refuse to feed those to him. he acts normal from what i can tell, blew a nice bubble nest yesterday and has quite a few places to hide and no strong current (except what looks like color fading near the back of his head, no white spots or gold spots or clamped fins or "flashing" though..) i will catch him eating algae off my DW periodically...and when he does grab a NLS pellet 5 times out of 10 he spits out... so my questions are

should i change foods? maybe to NLS Grow formula with the .5mm pellets instead of the 1mm?

should i switch to a different brand or try something other than pellets all together?

sorrry for rambling PLEASE HELP, and feel free to move this if its not in the right spot.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If you don't already you can try soaking the pellets in small amount of tank water for a minute before feeding to soften them up, might help.

Another which I know others have done is soak them in garlic, I have never done this so don't know what exactly is done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't already you can try soaking the pellets in small amount of tank water for a minute before feeding to soften them up, might help.

Another which I know others have done is soak them in garlic, I have never done this so don't know what exactly is done.
i have tried the soaking in tank water way, to the point were they still float but are almost mush lol but at that point he wants nothing to do with it i can try the garlic route, is it just liquid garlic or something else?

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can get jarred garlic and dip the pellets in the juice, or mash up a clove then microwave it for 30 seconds then dip the pellets in the juices.
I've heard some people use the powdered form of garlic, make sure the only ingredient is garlic, no additives. You get a little bit of tank water, put the garlic powder in it, then dip the pellet in the garlic water.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get jarred garlic and dip the pellets in the juice, or mash up a clove then microwave it for 30 seconds then dip the pellets in the juices.
I've heard some people use the powdered form of garlic, make sure the only ingredient is garlic, no additives. You get a little bit of tank water, put the garlic powder in it, then dip the pellet in the garlic water.
Ok i will go for some organic jarred garlic @ sprouts or something. dont want to risk cheap stuff. i will give it a shot and report back. Is there any reason i should be concerned at this point? or is he just being a picky betta?

·
Registered
327 Posts
No, i don't think you should be worried. My girl spit out her food constantly for a few weeks, but now she is eating normally. I bet he'll be eating without problem in a few weeks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My betta was just like this. For the first few weeks I could only get him to eat a single pellet (some days he would refuse and spit them out). He would happily eat frozen foods though. It was a very gradual process for him to eat what I consider a normal amount of pellets. Eventually he would eat two pellets and not spit them out. Then 3 pellets and so on. Just this week I've been able to get him to eat 4 pellets. I often wonder what he was raised eating and if he was ever introduced to pellets before going to the pet store.

If he is eating at all I wouldn't be too concerned yet. He might need just a little more time. I've heard people recommending the garlic soaking before. I would love to know if you do this and how well it works for you!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My betta was just like this. For the first few weeks I could only get him to eat a single pellet (some days he would refuse and spit them out). He would happily eat frozen foods though. It was a very gradual process for him to eat what I consider a normal amount of pellets. Eventually he would eat two pellets and not spit them out. Then 3 pellets and so on. Just this week I've been able to get him to eat 4 pellets. I often wonder what he was raised eating and if he was ever introduced to pellets before going to the pet store.

If he is eating at all I wouldn't be too concerned yet. He might need just a little more time. I've heard people recommending the garlic soaking before. I would love to know if you do this and how well it works for you!
im going to give it a shot tonight when i get off work. I will let you know how it goes :) wish me luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so went home last night and tried chopping up a clove and soaking it in water with the pellets for a little bit, no effect. Still ignored them, possibly garlic juice or oil would yield better results. BUT i think i made some headway this morning, just for kicks i grabbed my top-fin pellets that are .5mm (Betta NLS pellets are 1mm) and he snagged 2 right off the bat and ate them :) then i noticed he has a odd shaped mouth, kind of like a 40's mob boss lol so my only conclusion (at least for now is that he needs smaller pellets, im gunna try NLS Grow Formula pellets that are .5mm and 50% protein or some other type under 1mm.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My guys only eat frozen foods so truthfully, I have no idea as to how many pellets a day the average Betta eats.

That being said: Keep in mind Bettas do have realitively small stomachs and each one is different.. I would take the above advice, however would not stress too much if it does not work unless his overall appearance and or activity level begins to decline...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My guys only eat frozen foods so truthfully, I have no idea as to how many pellets a day the average Betta eats.

That being said: Keep in mind Bettas do have realitively small stomachs and each one is different.. I would take the above advice, however would not stress too much if it does not work unless his overall appearance and or activity level begins to decline...
average for full growns is about 8 pellets a day broken up into 2-3 feedings.
one day at a time lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pellets can be tricky with bettas. But once they are used to you feeding them, they will usually try anything you give them.
Do you have any flakes lying around that you can try? Many people say their bettas won't eat them, but every betta I've ever had will eat them, even if it takes some time. And it can be a good alternative if it seems the pellet size is the problem.

Regardless, I would just take the fact that he is eating as a good sign. I'm sure his true piggy side will show itself soon enough :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pellets can be tricky with bettas. But once they are used to you feeding them, they will usually try anything you give them.
Do you have any flakes lying around that you can try? Many people say their bettas won't eat them, but every betta I've ever had will eat them, even if it takes some time. And it can be a good alternative if it seems the pellet size is the problem.

Regardless, I would just take the fact that he is eating as a good sign. I'm sure his true piggy side will show itself soon enough :)
i have some aqueon flakes that came with my tank way back when, i tried feeding him a flake once and he looked at me like i was crazy lol but i havent tried it since (worth a shot if i get home and he wont eat a pellet dinner) i cant wait!! lol the first betta ive seen who doesnt consume any and everything falling into his tank

·
Registered
327 Posts
average for full growns is about 8 pellets a day broken up into 2-3 feedings.
one day at a time lol
I only feed my bettas 4-5 pellets split into two feedings.

·
Registered
327 Posts
4-5 a day is where i would like to be lol 2-3 in the morning 2-3 at night
Ah, I see. Your bettas give you a sad look to get more food, they are little pigs haha :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah, I see. Your bettas give you a sad look to get more food, they are little pigs haha :lol:
just got home and my little piggy ate 3 top fin pellets :):):):):):):) it has to be pellet size at this point. So I will be getting NLS grow .5mm or NLS small fish semi float .8mm pellets!! I'm so happy!!! Lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yay!!!!!!!!
2 days now 2 separate feedings. 3-4 in the morning 3-4 at night.

SO happy this appears to be an issue of the past :) few more days ill switch him over to NLS, but for now im going to let his appetite and regularity become fully established.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts