Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I finally added some live plants to my 5 gallon betta only tank and would love if you all could give me some advice. So far I have a couple Java ferns, anubias and bacopa with fluval stratum as substrate. I already inserted some root tabs and dosed with liquid ferts (seachem flourish). I would also like to add some frogbit later on. The lighting is the original tiny clip in light that came with the hood. My questions are: 1. Which is the best lighting for this low tech tank? 2. How often and how much liquid fertilizer/root tabs should I use??
I attached a pic of my setup for reference. Thank you all in advance!:)
BA0D5C09-776C-4B66-B797-04D8BE12D187.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
22,055 Posts
Looking good!

You don't need to add root tabs to plant soils until their own nutrients are depleted; about six months. If you have Echinodorus or red plants you do need Iron tabs. As far as dosing the liquid just dose as manufacturer suggests. I haven't used it in so long I can't remember.

I use Finnex Stingray lights. That's what Finnex suggested for a low-tech tank. There are two. One has a moonlight and is available here Finnex Stingray II Tri-Color LED Light w/Moonlight - 16 in

The other does not and is less here that at That Pet Place JL-16S-Finnex Stingray LED Fixture: 16 Inch

·
Registered
337 Posts
That tank looks great! How do you like the substrate? At some point I will need to buy some for my 20 long. Can anyone tell me how many lbs I would need? Still debating about whether I will use it for a grow out tank or to house my keepers/breeders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts