Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I saw a pretty impressive deal on Slickdeals for 55-gallon Marineland aquarium. It seems to have decent reviews.

Just thought I'd give you all a heads up. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wait, it IS valid on the Petsmart website.

Go to the link that says "learn more" beside the red line that says "Save an extra $50 by choosing store pickup."

THEN go back to your cart (assuming you have one in there) and it SHOULD show the discount.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a pretty sweet deal, but I lack the time or space for another aquarium so I didn't purchase it myself.

Were you able to snag one before the deal ended? It's back up to $117.49 now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nope, it's still $67. You just have to play with the cart and the link to "Learn More" about the deal, and it will eventually apply the $50 discount to your cart.

I just ordered two. I was hoping my local store would get it in, but they didn't. None of the stores on the south metro side of Atlanta got them. But two in midtown did, and they're maybe 10 miles from each other. So I'm about to go switch out to get my sister's truck, and head out to pick them up. Kinda torn on whether I want to sell the second one, or just keep it. Knowing me, I'll find a reason to keep it!

For some reason, I really don't think two 55-gallon starter kits will fit in a Pontiac Solstice GXP...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kinda torn on whether I want to sell the second one, or just keep it. Knowing me, I'll find a reason to keep it!

For some reason, I really don't think two 55-gallon starter kits will fit in a Pontiac Solstice GXP...
Ye be warned, Slickdeals flippers tend to flood the market after a good deal - essentially driving down resale value.

However, given the sheer size and weight of this item, it's unlikely that it'll find its way on to sites like eBay. Perhaps you could Craigslist it? :-D

Yeah, probably not. The truck is a good call!

Post some pics if you happen to get them set up. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alright. I left out just after 9am to make the 40-minute drive into Atlanta for those two. It's now 9pm and I just got home. I blame my sister for part of it, but bear with me here.

The bad news is, the deal ends TODAY. At least part of it. The kit was "on sale" for $117, which was down from $250-ish. THAT part ended today (although if you find one in stock, you can still buy it before midnight). The second part was the extra $50 for picking it up at the store. That part will continue until Nov 4th.

And I REALLY should have known better than to expect Petsmart to be competent. I drove 40 miles through 2 major construction zones and stood still for an hour for a horrible car accident to have one of the two stores tell me they didn't have it. Worst part is, it was the MANAGER who told me this. I told her it won't even let me CHOOSE store pick up unless they show it in stock. She said it was not showing her as "available". I told her of course it isn't available, I already paid for it online!

Anyway, after her arguing with me over how online orders worked, I called the home office to complain that I had driven so far to get something that was SUPPOSED to be in stock. But while I am talking with customer service (who confirmed MY idea of how the system worked) and walking around the store, I look up on a pallet way up above the store shelves and see the EXACT thing I am there to pick up. The same EXACT item I had already paid for, and the manager demanded they did not have. So it turned into a logged complaint about that manager instead (who never once went to LOOK for it) and I drove homeward with two brand new 55G aquarium kits.

As for flooding the market, that is pretty difficult with these. Out of 25 stores within 50 miles, only two even had it in stock. And each store only had space for 1 in their inventory, so no one could ever buy more than 1 at a time. Add to that the challenge of fitting it into vehicles and carrying it, like you had mentioned, and it's extremely unlikely there will be enough out there to flood the market with. Plus even at $67, this isn't tax time or holiday bonus time yet, so not many people have the money to buy several, or the gas to drive to all of the stores that have them!

I'm just extremely lucky to have gotten a huge windfall recently at the PERFECT time to get these!

Now to find me a metal stand that holds 2 at a time....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woah. Sounds like quite the adventure.

Congrats on being able to snag a couple. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts