Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Beatram passed away, I have had a vacant 6-gallon long tank. I would like to hear your stocking suggestions for it. I've really liked this tank because, given its long size, I feel it has more usable space for the fish, especially Bettas/surface-dwelling fish. I'm not sure about another Betta Splendens, though. Don't get me wrong, I love our domesticated bettas, but I've been really fascinated with wilds lately, especially since I recently acquired a wonderful B. Mahachai. I also have been enjoying small group fish like chili rasbora, and it would soften the blow of fish death to have a group of smaller fish, but I have serious doubts if 6 gallons is large enough for any of those species.

I've also seen some sources that have 5-6 gallons as a size for a pair of some of the smaller species of wild betta. That seems so small and risky to me though. I'm very concerned about the well-being of the animals I keep, especially with giving them enough space. That being said, I feel that breeding wilds would be very rewarding to me. I probably still won't because I don't know if I'm experienced enough yet, but if it's even an option I still want to consider it. Hopefully that's not too ambitious.

I also don't like how the tank looks right now so I will just take it apart and reset it to be specifically set up for whatever I choose. It has a glass lid that is tight and secure because I made it.

Here's a picture showing the dimensions of the tank, thanks in advance for all of your advice and suggestions.
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Electric blue

· Super Moderator
1,515 Posts
I‘m sorry for the loss of Beatram. It is heartbreaking, any time we lose a Betta.

The tank‘s footprint gives you some nice options and as long as it has a lid, you can house any of the small Boraras (brigittae, merah, maculatus, naevus, uropthalmoides).

They look phantastic - especially if fed well with some frozen or live food (Baby Brine Shrimp) from time to time and if water is a bit on the softer side.

So the Chili Rasbora would be a very nice choice.

You could also keep a pair of small wild bubble nesters from the Coccina Complex or small mouth brooders like Betta albimarginata. Be aware, that they will reproduce if kept in breeding water parameters. They will also require soft water (R/O or rain water).

Should you intend keeping a wild Betta species, do a ton of research and look for any hobbyists (forums, groups) to support you in the beginning and be there for any further questions.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I‘m sorry for the loss of Beatram. It is heartbreaking, any time we lose a Betta.

The tank‘s footprint gives you some nice options and as long as it has a lid, you can house any of the small Boraras (brigittae, merah, maculatus, naevus, uropthalmoides).

They look phantastic - especially if fed well with some frozen or live food (Baby Brine Shrimp) from time to time and if water is a bit on the softer side.

So the Chili Rasbora would be a very nice choice.

You could also keep a pair of small wild bubble nesters from the Coccina Complex or small mouth brooders like Betta albimarginata. Be aware, that they will reproduce if kept in breeding water parameters. They will also require soft water (R/O or rain water).

Should you intend keeping a wild Betta species, do a ton of research and look for any hobbyists (forums, groups) to support you in the beginning and be there for any further questions.
Thanks for your advice, I think right now I'm leaning toward the rasboras. I'm going to make another thread though about the B. coccina complex and B. albimarginata complex. Those are two areas of the wild betta species that have always been really interesting to me. If not now, maybe someday I will keep them.

· Super Moderator
1,515 Posts
That sounds like an excellent plan!

The Chilis and related Boraras can be even housed together with some wild species, when slowly acclimated to soft water.

Will you share some impressions of your tank, once you have set it up and fish have moved in😊?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like an excellent plan!

The Chilis and related Boraras can be even housed together with some wild species, when slowly acclimated to soft water.

Will you share some impressions of your tank, once you have set it up and fish have moved in😊?
I will be excited to share the tank and fish once I've set it up. I already have some ideas for it. Thanks again. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts