Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Betta community. I've been away from fishkeeping for 30 years. As a full time postal employee and the Deputy Chief of my local fire department, I'm looking to start small (5-10 gallon) planted aquarium that does not require hours of maintenance. Just getting started and saw this forum. Thanks for allowing me into your community.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I know you'll love your planted tank. I find that my 10 gal is a little easier to find plants for then my 5 gal. With my 5 gal I have to make sure that the plants do not get too large or they will fairly quickly outgrow my tank and I'll have to spend extra time pruning them.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, everyone here loves sharing what they have learned.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello and welcome!
In my experience the smaller the tank the more maintenance it will require. More water changes, higher chance of catastrophe if something spikes, etc. If you want a fairly low maintenance betta tank I would suggest going with the 10g as opposed to the 5.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Ditto to what they said about tank size.
Although position has a lot to do with things.
I have a 5g on my desk, and since I spend hours a day there, nearly every day, the amount of maintenance required is easy - every time I am trying to avoid a bit of work. haha!

It certainly helps to have the tank where you spend a lot of time, and have the leisure to watch it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hello and welcome! This forum is filled with super friendly people and lots of great resources and advice so you've come to the right place! I recently came back to bettakeeping and am starting up a 5 gallon. I'm excited to hear about your new tank journey! I agree with others, if you have the space for it, a 10 gallon will be easier to maintain. If I had more space, I probably would have leaned towards a 10 this time around but instead will be setting up a 5!

Be sure to check out the sticky threads under the various categories on here, they have a LOT of great info on setting up tanks! Once again, welcome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts