Betta Fish Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1180 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Bon isn't quite his normal self, but he's bouncing back faster than a rubber ball in a playground. Mystery illness strikes again - this is the SECOND time he's been struck with a high fever with no apparent cause that cleared up with antibiotic use. I was so sure I'd lose him this time, and here we go. Quietly begging for breakfast as though nothing had ever happened...$500 later. Next time I get a cat, I'm getting one of those insurance plans for it. No sane insurance company would accept any of my three boys, now. Hah!

Montalban almost died of a fever / bacterial infection twice, and has bad knees
Shatner had severe stomatitis that was passed with his mother's milk, and had to have all his teeth removed.
Noodle almost died of a hairball. Really, dude? A hairball?? Oh, come on!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just read about ur kitty, glad he is recovering nicely. Good job taking care of him, he is lucky to be living with u. Cats are wonderfully interesting creatures. I do not own one but there is an outside kitty that visits and we like to feed & play with him.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Just completed water changes on both 10 gallons. Phoenix was looking out at me from behind his filter, like "Is it over?" Haha. Mystique, as usual, was unphased.

BOTH MYSTIQUE'S TANK AND THE EMPTY QT TANK SHOW NITRITES! WOOHOOO! Gave Mystique a very big water change and a little extra Prime. I'm already dosing her daily. Looks like her cycle will go very fast. Gogo, seeded media!

Bon isn't quite "Bonning" yet, but he's showing steady progress. The other two cats are being very crazy tonight. They're puffed up and chasing goblins.

We went out on an adventure today to check out a car that my roommate is looking on buying. It's a green 2001 Jetta with 94,000 miles on it. Looked better in person than it did online, which is a rarity. Hoping the dealer will bargain on it - my roommate needs a car pretty bad, but August has been...a bad month. Funds are low, and something we'd normally be able to pay cash for will have to be financed.

As a matter of fact, the entire month of August can go fly a kite. Hmmph!

Looking forward to the Golden State Bettas meeting tomorrow. My husband said "Don't bring home a fish!" and I said, "Well, there's this raffle..." and he said, "If you win it, I guess that's okay."

If I win any fish, no more than one, okay Lady Luck? Don't be fickle, now. I only have one empty tank. After that, it'd be Tupperware.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
No go on the car. The dealer didn't want to reduce price for the tires they insisted were safe. No, dude. If the tire is cracked, it's NOT safe.

The Golden State Bettas meeting was very fun. I met a lot of nice people. It was hard work, though, and I came home exhausted. Outings like that are hard for me. I am an introvert. It's not that I don't like people, it's that people and their emotions and hopes are difficult, and no matter how much I look forward to reaching out, I end up so tired afterwards, as though I had run a marathon.

The two beauties I brought home need names. The CT (Mr. Furious FIns) needs a tank of his own, something with a lot of green to show off his stunning figure and color. The melano female will end up as a building block for my future sorority. It's a good thing I'll be getting some plants this coming week ... although she'll be quarantined a full two weeks, anyway. At the very least. I just can't risk it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Glad to hear your kitty is doing better! I can understand how ruff it can be with them :roll: I'm sure you and your room mate will be able to find a car for her. You just have to keep looking! There are plenty of good deals out there too! About you being an introvert and it feeling like a marathon when talking with others, just keeping trying! I was the same way and the only way I got over it was to just keep talking to people. Would also like to see your new kids ;-)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
The introvert thing is a basic part of my personality. Social activities are an energy negative. It's not quite the same thing as being shy. Hehe.

I'll get some photos up later today or tonight. Trying to find a vessel for the black beauty that's at the very least better than the cup she came in. I was given two tanks, but the smaller one needs cleaning something fierce, and there's nowhere to put the big one until I rearrange furniture.

The red CT looks a deep heartsblood, almost a rust color. His mass of rays and large size make him look like some kind of monster from the deep. He came to greet me this morning, but doesn't have a big appetite yet.

The melano female has rather long fins, for a lady. She was eager to eat right away. I still haven't gotten a very good look at her - the cup she came in isn't crystal clear. I'll give her a water change before work.

Off to the grocery store! The lunch meat had turned, eeew, and I need to make everyone sandwiches.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
As promised...NEW FISH PHOTO UPDATE!

The red CT has been dubbed Goliath. He's bigger than all of my other fish by a large margin, although he isn't a king. He likes his IAL.

The melano female has been very tentatively named Silhouette. Because that's all I can get of her. She is very dark. I am not sure of her tail type.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Goliath finally ate this morning! I was starting to get a little worried. I'm wondering if my feeding method is just strange to him - to avoid overfeeding, my babies get fed with a medicine dropper, and I dole out food piece by piece to them until I'm satisfied they've gotten enough. He was totally uninterested in the mysis shrimp, and I only coaxed him into eating a couple blood worms last night. This morning, I threw a pinch of pellets in his tank out of hope, and that registered. He ate about half of them, I'm guessing 5 or so. I scooped the rest out, of course.

Mystique ate pellets like a ravaging piranha. She's still so tiny, but I bet she's young and growing.

Phoenix remembered what pellets were, but he's so used to waiting in his feeding spot that when the current swept them away he was clueless. I had to hunt down the pellets and re-present them to him. He was delighted to accept them, though.

Silhouette ate without hesitation. She seems a friendly, easygoing lady.

Tomorrow I should get the first shipment of plants that I ordered. The initial plan was to keep them fresh for the 75g, but with two ladies, I think I have to alter my plans on the fly. Silhouette is literally swimming around in a lemonade pitcher right now, and she has no heater. That's unacceptable. With limited space, I'm going to have to start a sorority.

According to the experienced breeders I spoke to on Sunday, two fish is apparently quite doable as long as I make sure that there are plenty of caves and plants, and they cannot see the male fish. That was a big one. Aggression becomes much worse when breeding prospects are visible.

Plans:
Remove Mystique.
Heavily plant Mystique's former tank.
Add two small caves.
Black out the side of the new sorority tank with construction paper.
Buy two breeder boxes (doing that today).
Float Mystique and Silhouette together & begin acclimation.
Examine how they react to each other.
Once acclimation is complete, move each to a breeding box.
Let them think about things for 24 hours.
Release and pray.

I'm satisfied at this point that Silhouette came from a good source, and I think the risk of adding her to Mystique's tank is less than the problem of not having a proper home for her, so this seems like the best course of action.

If there's too much aggression, I'll take a look at who is instigating, and may rehome that fish. It depends largely on what permanent solution I come up with for Goliath. I'm hoping to have him for my at-home desk buddy, but I don't want a 10 gallon on the bookshelf where he'd live. It's just too big - a 5 gallon would be better.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
*facepalm* I went to the pet store today to buy breeder boxes, and left with a heater and an ornament. Not breeder boxes.

On the up side, I have a heater and an ornament. :p Went to the thrift shop to grab a 5.5 gallon that I saw last week, and they also had two 10 gallon tanks. I bought one of them - it had a hood with light, which they tested for me and is confirmed to work. Inside, there was also a heater and a second, smaller light. I'll test the heater and spare light later. Heaters are pretty durable, so I have hopes.

There are no immediate plans for the new 10 gallon. I'll probably use it to grow floating plants or something, since it seems like I'm forever desperate for them. The 5.5 will go to Goliath. It's the perfect size to fit on top of the bookshelf in the den. I have it filled with water on the kitchen table at work, testing for leaks.

Also, my photobucket phone app has gone berserk. It's convinced that it hasn't uploaded photos, and keeps uploading the same one over and over ... successfully. I've tried restarting my phone, or just stopping the app...it keeps doing it. Ugh.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Silhouette... wow. Just like... I did not know I could crush that hard on a fish. Woah. She... I... heavens. I legitimately cannot find the English language or words. You have me tongue tied over a fish all the way across the country.

If I could bake decently, I would send you a plate of cookies for that. I'm just going to sit here and stare until I feel like I actually could say a full sentence with proper grammar and actual words now.

Reactions: aurielssong

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
I know, isn't she something? Would you believe there were only three tickets in her cup? And only one in Goliath's? People were going crazy for the dragonscale ladies, but this beautiful, dark shadow of a girl went unnoticed. She is so friendly and graceful. I feel very blessed, and I can't wait to get better pictures for your enjoyment.

Feel free to crush. :shock:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
We decided to go with red sand for Goliath. I let my husband pick - since he's taken a fancy to the fish, it seems like a good idea to encourage his interest.

Have you ever used red sand? This cracked me up. It looks like gore.

The sponge filter is in there now, breaking up the floating sand. Last night it looked like it was raining blood from the surface of the water to the ground. Wonderfully creepy. Hopefully Goliath will enjoy his new home...he doesn't seem too happy in the QT tank. He's eating, so I'm not all that worried, but he's not as energetic as everyone else. I keep thinking of him as a reserved sort of gentleman.

I don't think he's ever been out of a jar since being removed from his grow-out tank. The extra space would make anyone nervous, right? Someone tell me that he'll be fine.

Anyway, with luck my first shipment of plants will come in today. I don't get to use them the way that I'd planned - silly raffle!- but they're desperately needed one way or the other. I'll give Goliath some cover so he feels more safe, and see how heavily I can plant the ladies' tank.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think Goliath will look great in your new red tank set up. Good luck with planting it up when your plants arrive giving him some cover, you will have to post some pics.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
With Goliath moved into a permanent home, I finally had room to get Silhouette into a proper tank, even if it is only Goliath's former QT tank. It has a heater and some floaters, so it's better than a lemonade pitcher.

WHILE I WAS MOVING HER FROM THE PITCHER TO A CUP, SHE JUMPED OUT AND LANDED IN THE SINK. EEEEK!!

(Before you read the rest of this, she appears to be unharmed by her adventure!)

She flopped from the middle divider of the sink into the side with the garbage disposal, which was filled with dirty dishes and a great deal of sharp knives. A flopping fish is surprisingly difficult to catch, and I didn't manage to get her until she flopped straight into a dish filled with dirty tap water. I got her into a cup, put a drop of Prime in there, and floated her in her tank.

So yeah, the dishes are now clean. I'm never going to transfer a fish when there's dishes in the sink or an uncovered garbage disposal again. Poor Silhouette! My heart's still racing. There's not a scale out of place, but that was a scary experience for both of us.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Silhouette is just fine this morning. She's pleased with her new digs, and when I went to check on her this morning, she was hiding under her IAL. She peeked out from under the edge, and then swam out to greet me when she saw I was there.

Goliath is showing more energy than I've seen from him so far. The plants must have done the trick...he'll swim around and use the different plants to rest on. He's a very heavy, bulky boy. Also, when he takes a breath at the surface, he is really dramatic about it. GULP. Haha. No sign of him hiding inside the skull. I want to see him do that so much.

Phoenix my tail-waggly boy is doing well this morning. I keep having to top off his tank because of evaporation. I hate the HOB filter he has. Any time the water gets even the slightest bit low, Phoenix starts swimming like he's in a gale. It's good strength training, I suppose, but I don't want him to get stressed out.

Mystique keeps getting eggy. I don't know why.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That sword sure took a beating in transit, but I am glad they got to you safely! Hopefully they fill out quick. I have to admit, that floating sand looked really gross at first! Haha.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
That's why I had to post pictures. It was so gross that it needed to be shared, lol.

I'm short a light timer. Gonna see if I can find something online - I don't like the ones they sell at Rite Aid. In the meantime, it's on at 8ish, and off at 6. That'll be shifted to 1pm-10pm after I get the timer, so we can enjoy him until bed time. The other plants seem to be fine with that schedule.

201 - 220 of 1180 Posts