Betta Fish Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1180 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Sorry for your losses guys, for me the heat is actually helping mesmer regain his eyesight (cataracts? Milky eyes?) But I guess we aren't all so lucky

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,162
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

We have made it to the 2 week mark without a sudden and horrible mass die-off of babies! WOOO!

There have been a few deaths, but not too many. There were a few that never seemed to figure out how to eat, and one fry that is grossly deformed in the red tank. I haven't spotted him in a little bit, he may have died before I could catch and remove him.

There are less reds than I expected, which I am not in the slightest bit upset about. I'm guessing maybe 30? The ones that are in there are nice and big and healthy. I can see rays in their little caudal fins. I also STRONGLY suspect that the tiniest ones may have been cannibalized, although it's hard to say, really. But one of the largest fry had red in its belly before I fed them BBS for the first time...

As for the oranges. Well, they are hard to see, because they are so light colored, but that spawn looks pretty big! I will have a better idea when I move the spawn from the little 5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon, which I hope to accomplish tonight.

The babies are on BBS now. After I move the oranges and clean both tanks, I will try to give a picture update.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,163
Baby photos

Pineapple Red VT x Pineapple Red VT, 6/17/2015. Hatch date roughly 5/31/2015. So, 2.5 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,164
I am beyond excited about this purchase from Aquabid. Look at that GREEN in video #2.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettaswt1434682104

My Green Girl (Macha's sister) is ill, and despite medication may not recover. I've been looking for a replacement for that dark forest green, and those look like the fish for me.

I bought 6 pairs - one green pair for me, and 5 other pairs - 4 for friends, 1 for a club raffle next month.

The seller said he had included a special surprise green fish for me. Whaaat! :shock:

I. CAN'T. WAIT.

Oh! And in other news. Next week, Wednesday through Sunday, I am off to Indianapolis to meet other fishy folk at the IBC Area 1 convention. This is going to be fun!!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If you get a dark forest green spawn I'm probably going to have to find some extra space in my tanks for one. Just so you know. *sigh*

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,166
Ha-ha, well let's see what happens. This is all experimental.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,168
I had a wonderful time at the convention. It was as though I had gone to a family reunion, where I simply had not met my family members yet. Everyone was very nice. It's a close-knit group that is very welcoming of new people.

The highlight of the convention, for me, was the hospitality room in the evenings. Everyone so inclined would gather in the hospitality room, and we would chat, eat snacks, and do silly things like have a bagging contest (Gianne S. won with 27 seconds from start to finish, double bagging), and get smashed with a rather liberal amount of alcohol.

I got to meet Dr. Gene Lucas, who is an incredible gentleman, very kind and willing to chat. He asked for help learning about Elephant Ears inheritance patterns (check out my post in the Breeding Bettas section).

The auction was amazing. The show fish were beautiful. The awards ceremony was lovely - Former leader of Golden State Bettas and current vice president of the IBC Yvonne Chaban was awarded "Better Person of the Year," and Golden State Bettas member and former vice president of the IBC Karen Mac Auley won the Gene Lucas Congressional Award of Merit. Wow!

Here are a few photos!

Tables set up for auction.

Karen's trophy. That was how I broke the news to her via text. ;-)

The large group of people has Midwest Betta Club, with IBC President Gerald Griffin in the striped shirt on the end.

Dr. Gene Lucas filling in a drawing that will later be donated for auction.

Dr. Gene Lucas beginning a brief lecture on genetics.

Gerald Griffin during a lecture about wild betta species.

Dr. Gene Lucas telling us about one of the more memorable conventions. Apparently there was a murder at the next hotel over...

Rain. I live in an area of severe drought and had forgotten about this phenomenon known as "weather." I didn't even bring a coat.

Someone set up a tank in the hospitality room bathroom. Umm. Good thing Yvonne found a condom in the couch (YIKES lol. At least it was still in the wrapper!) because that mermaid looks like she's getting into trouble.

We were throwing fish bags around, pretending to be the USPS... :-?

HALF of the IBC store. I bought a bag of 50 IAL, golden pearls, fish bags, a disk hatchery for BBS/Artemia, and I can't remember what-all else. Oh, and some Purple Moscow guppies.

(the guppies pissed me off ... whoever brought them didn't bother to supply a heater or a bubbler, and they were dying. I took home two females and a male - the male didn't make it, but one of the girls has already had babies)

There's nothing like walking up to a closed door. Something momentous was happening.

I met a lot of truly wonderful people.

There were a lot of beautiful fish to see.

I can't wait until next year. What a fantastic welcome to the IBC!

Attachments

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
the tap water's quality is swinging wildly, and it all of the sudden started coming out of the tap at 1 PPM ammonia. Priming it and churning it in a water aging tank for a couple days did nothing to clear it up (which it SHOULD have), and I didn't know the problem until I started losing fish.
Nah, it shouldn't have. Prime's ammonia protection starts evaporating right away and is gone in a day or two. Aging water just wastes Prime.

I wish Kordon would get back to me about Amquel Plus. This stuff totally removes ammonia -- so they say. I'm not yet convinced it leaves anything for the nitrifying bacteria to oxidize while cycling.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170
If it totally removes the ammonia, what would the bacteria have? Indeed, that's a good question.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Indeed it is. They don't have the customer service oriented website that Seachem has. Their site claims that bacteria and plants can use the fragments that Amquel Plus breaks the nitrogenous compounds into. But I remain skeptical. I guess I have to prod them again for an answer.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,172
What is scary is when the company cannot provide an answer, suggesting either a secret (fine, but tell us it is a secret) or they don't actually know...

·
Registered
647 Posts
(the guppies pissed me off ... whoever brought them didn't bother to supply a heater or a bubbler, and they were dying.
That's the reality of fish auctions. They're bagged and left to sit around on the table all day.

Nonetheless, sounds like it was a fun event to attend.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,174
The guppies were stuck in a tank with access to outlets in the IBC store, rather than bagged and waiting. Giving them basic care would have been easy. Everyone was bothered by it, but no one had the tools to do anything for them.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
What is scary is when the company cannot provide an answer, suggesting either a secret (fine, but tell us it is a secret) or they don't actually know...
Seachem has proprietary info; they say so. Sometimes they admit they don't know. Sometimes their explanations and answers are opaque or ambiguous, mostly because of their apparently weak language skills. But they try. They're set up for it.

I hadn't dealt with Kordon before (a Canadian company). I just sent them a perfunctory little note. Next time I'll be a little more direct and aggressive. I'll withhold judgment until I hear from them.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,176
I'd love to hear about any reply you get. I know some breeders that absolutely swear by AmQuell in their fry tanks.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The guppies were stuck in a tank with access to outlets in the IBC store, rather than bagged and waiting. Giving them basic care would have been easy. Everyone was bothered by it, but no one had the tools to do anything for them.
Don't they go through worse in shipping? How do they survive that? Was it very cold in there?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,178
It was super cold in there, and there were too many fish in the tank. We weren't sure if it was the chill or the lack of oxygen or what, but the ones I took were fine when I got them out and in clean water and into a warmer room.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,179
I have been growing a planted tank for a few months now - maybe three? For my betta smaragdina. Not sure how long it's been, actually, but the first post of the smaragdina is two weeks after I started it.

Anyway, progress report.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Poor guppies! ):

Wow your planted tank looks fab! :) nice and dense.

1161 - 1180 of 1180 Posts