Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Little Prince, Elephant Ears
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the Caribbean, the temperature is rising wildly. I have a single Dumbo Ears by himself in 5 gals. Tank. However, I'm concerned because the water temperature rises to 86 F, mostly during the day. At night it is lower to mid 84 and mid 85 F.

Can this temperature harm my betta? I have had some episodes where he ceases to look for food. And spend quite some time taking naps and hiding. H has always been shy, but he was more energetic at the beginning. Some time ago, he went to a period that he didn't want to eat much. I have tried different types of food, even frozen, but he only likes one of four types of food. The frozen dry blood worms he hated. He learns and recognizes it right away and doesn't even try to eat it.

Going back to my question, is 86F too hot for him? I have tried to cool it a little bit, but it is not much. In about an hour, the temp goes back to 86F. Had lowered the temperature from 86F to 80F but only last about an hour. The ambient temperature in Puerto Rico is over 90F mos days.

Please, I'll appreciate any assistance to see him go back to swim a little more. There is a fact, he is and has been a little lazy.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had the same problem here with my house getting up to 90+ as RTST said lower the water and blow a fan on the tanks. I also kept the lights of because they to can add heat to the water if left on a long time. Some light don’t add a lot but others do, so I just left all of my tank lights off.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A bigger body of water can help too if possible so it doesn’t overheat up too fast. I freeze ice cubes of their clean water and drop it in during peak hours if it gets too high..~above 85. You can give him extra air since his water depletes oxygen faster being hot. I would place his tank low and not too high up if possible as hot air rises. Even better if you can put his tank directly where your air or ac blows. I’ve been having the same problems too.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They make aquarium chillers. However, you can do the same thing by setting up a fan to blow over the surface of the water. You will need to remove the hood or canopy and lower the water level so he won't try to jump out.
Thanks a lot! I did as you recommended. This afternoon the temperature decrease by 4 degrees. It was 86F, and tonight is 82F, but it went down to 80F.

He might be a little spoiled, LOL. When the light in his tank is on (now I will keep it off more time) and it is getting darker, we turn on the lights in the living room because otherwise, he starts flaring at anything that moves. And now we will have a fan on at least in the afternoon when it gets warmer (or hotter).😁:cool:

Many thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
So, it shouldn't harm him? Nice to know too. Can you share your thoughts?

Thanks.
No real thoughts--just facts. Bettas, like Discus and Rams, tolerate high temps very well and 86F is not by any measure harmful. There are some breeders/fanciers who intentionally maintain their bettas at that temp or even higher. I'm not one of them, but agree that for bettas there's no harm in that level of warmth.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No real thoughts--just facts. Bettas, like Discus and Rams, tolerate high temps very well and 86F is not by any measure harmful. There are some breeders/fanciers who intentionally maintain their bettas at that temp or even higher. I'm not one of them, but agree that for bettas there's no harm in that level of warmth.
[/QUOTE
Excellent. Thanks a lot for the information.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was just reading a scientific paper on Betta splendens and read this, which I thought you might like to see, @ZiggyM5 :

"Betta Species also prefer a warmer water climate than other tropical fish - around 25-30 Degrees Celsius. (77-86 Degrees Fahrenheit)"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts