Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning her tank my boyfriend was trying to put Luna back into her tank he dropped her about four feet onto the hard wood floor. He quickly put her into the tank and she was clearly in shock for a moment before swimming around frantically then hiding in her castle for a day. Yesterday she finally acknowledged me and was following me about. I was so relieved that she was back to being her social self. However.. this is when I noticed my concern. When she stops moving her right side rises like she is laying on the water. Also on the same side she now has a bulge behind her pectoral fin, about four scales are pushed out of place in the area of the bulge. I'm worried it's her intestines or possibly a broken spine. I have seen her dart from one side to the other super fast when she needs to. But she prefers to swim slowly now, and from the bulge back her tail doesn't move as fluid. She is eating, just not as much or as aggressively as normal. Do you think she is in pain? Is there anything I can do..? Her first birthday just passed and she really has the best personality.. I know it may sound dumb but when my dad passed and I was a crying mess, instead of chasing her reflection she laid against the side of the tank and wouldn't move unless I did. I realized that even something that tiny has to have a soul because of her. I don't want her to suffer.. any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Aww, poor little girl! I have no advice, but holding your hand. Can you post a picture of her while you are waiting? When someone more knowledgeable comes along, they'll probably want to see a picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to take one my phone is awful. This morning she swam up to me and just floated up on her right side. I'm fearing the worse.. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thank you. She can't stay sunk. She uses a leaf that she discovered in the tank to hold herself down until she wants air. Going to try fasting her for a day. Hoping to help with her gas build up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Fasting is a good idea. If you do decide to use epsom salt, make sure it's unscented. You could search this forum for fish injuries - I've seen a thread on someone contemplating keeping a fish with a similar sounding injury as yours. They gave him some good advice. It was a while ago that I saw it, and I found it accidentally, it was an old post. I don't know if I can find it again, but I am sure there are others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luna just passed.. just when we thought she would make a full recovery suddenly she wasn't able to do anything but swim upside down and lay on her side.. I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore. She finally let go and stopped fighting..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts