Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm glad everyone survived the trips! I'm always an advocate for live plants, I don't have to worry about sharp edges and they're also fun to watch grow over time like your betta :) We'd all love to see some pics of everyone when you get settled!

Could be crowntail, but he could also be a comb tail too, as those aren't as drastic as a crown tail haha.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yea, I'd love to move to all live plants next year. I'll likely be bringing my 10 gallon instead so each boy has some more space or just get a third betta. I've been considering getting a goldfish again since I have a 20 gallon long just laying around but we'll see what my time table looks like.

Salem's tail is healing nicely since he demolished it over winter break. He has some blood spots from where he bit at them over the weekend but his water just got changed. Fawkes is almost, if not, full grown by now. It's strange to think it's been almost half a year since I've had these two boys. Based on how Fawkes has grown I am assuming he's some sort of combtail. His tail type isn't consistent across his fins but there's no signs of fin rot or tail biting from him and his activity levels are normal. Fawkes loves to attack my finger and swimming into his filter (which is terrifying) but all is well and good in this dorm room.

Updated images are below. I'd suggest you go back to my first post to see how much Fawkes has changed over these last 5 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Aw, thanks you both! They're my handsome, angry babies. Fawkes' tail has continued to separate at the ends into that pattern even more so in the last 1.5 weeks. I've also speculated that he is a delta x crowntail cross since his dorsal and anal fins and separated to look more like a crowntail. Regardless I am in LOVE with him, I was expected a veiltail when I got him back in November and this is quite the happy surprise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We're finally home for the summer! Both boys did well in the car with no noticeable tail biting. Since this is permanent for a few months and I have the space, both bettas have their own tanks. Salem is in the original 5.5 gallon and Fawkes in is his own 10 gallon grow out tank. Either today or tomorrow I'm going to have to go to my LPS to get some substrate, a hood, and some plants for Fawkes' tank. Thankfully, Fawkes is a really chill fish and is content enough to already have a large bubble nest right up against the front panel.

I'm debating whether or not to get Fawkes set up in a community tank. Next year I will have my own space and will be bringing the 5.5 and likely 10 gallon with me. I'm more concerned about winter break where the fish will have to come home with me. I'll likely buy another 5.5 and just divide that and put any extra community fish into Salem's old 2.5 gallon.

That is if I go through with it. I don't have space in my car to lug both tank sets ups back and forth at will.

Since the drive is so long and both were in a new environment, I was very concerned with Salem destroying his fins. However, since plopping him into his new tank all he has been doing is zipping around. (despite his usual lack of cover too!). It's not the most natural looking tank but I'm hoping to improve that since the frogbit has been surviving.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The frogbit has offically died off. I think I made a packaging mistake during my travels so Salem is without live plants at the moment. I have a plant I'm growing in Fawkes' tank I might break up to add to his tank in the near future. Both boys are doing great. I am working on diatom control at the moment. I'm generally a neat person so it's hard not to go over board on the cleaning on their tanks so they're spotless again. I'm considering getting a pleco for Fawkes' tank and a snail for Salem's tank as well as turning Fawkes' 10 gallon into a community tank for additional help.

There's not too much to update.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I finally managed to keep some aquatic plants alive! The Amazon swords and Alternanthera are doing really well in my 10 gallon with Fawkes. I'm looking into adding some live plants into Salem's tank since I've had good success so far. I was dosing with Excel for a while due to the exposed roots but the algae in my aquarium began to bloom like crazy. Since giving the tank a thorough clean [ or as clean as you can get a tank without ruining the cycle] it has seemed to die back. I do have to rinse the plants once a month as the algae has begun to grow on it but now there's barely any signs of it at all.

Salem's tank is beginning to fill out again. I just hope to see it mostly healed before the semester starts up again. He's pretty good if I put him in a blacked out container for travel and get him into the tank right away so I'm not too worried.

Perry's tail is beginning to heal. His thermostat broke in the process of cleaning out his old tank so I'm off to get a new one today.

I also have a quarantine tank cycling as I'm heading to my LPS today to pick up a new thermostat. However, I may get some more live plants to fill out the rest of Fawkes' tank and maybe one for Salem's. The LPS has one large garden tank with some community fish so they'll have to quaratine for a while before I can add them in. I also am looking into getting a shoal of corys for Fawkes' tank or a school of tetras depending on how good they looking and the pricing.

But that's about it. Updated images of the tank have been attached. They look a little empty due to the algae bloom but oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've done some aggression testing with my bettas. Fawkes fears nothing and nipped my fingers on multiple occassions. Salem however backed away from my hands and so the two fish got switched. I feel bad putting Fawkes in the smaller tank but his red coloration blends better with the 5.5 anyways.

Since my last update I took Russell's advice into consideration and purchased a shoal of albino corys. I have 5 at the moment since I bought the fifth as a "back up" fish but amazingly all survived the transition and quarantine in a small tank. The new albinos went into the 10 gallon before I played musical chairs with my bettas and the corys. The albinos got settling into their new 10 gallon with the addition of a piece of white/brown driftwood as the new center piece. Salem went in a few days later. There was some nipping at a 2 hour drifting time but that seems to be the motivation for the cories to stay near the bottom and away from the big scary betta. Now Salem enjoys throwing their pellets around and watch them scurry about the bottom from the safety of his Alternanthera plant.

Amazingly, his tail biting has stopped completely. Usually when he moves around his tail becomes stubby but he enjoys watching and chasing his new speedy roommates. Due to his scoliosis and damaged fins, Salem is unable to catch the corys so no worries! There's also been no more nipping after the corys left his Alternanthera plants alone.

Fawkes is doing alright in the 5.5 gallon. I am looking into upgrading him back to a 10 gallon but I'm currently trying to save my money. I am however going to purchase more aquatic plants in order to liven up his tank and provide more anchors for his bubble nests. We'll see what kind of pricing I can find for another aquarium hood as that's the only thing holding me back at the moment. I can use my old divider for the 5.5 gallon from my dorm days for the winter and spring breaks as a temporary home with the cories in an empty 20 gallon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Interesting! You have 5 cories in a 10 gallon tank? Plus a betta?

Hummmmm maybe I should rethink my tank. Problem is I'm not sure how I'd prevent my betta from eating everyone's food after he finishes his own.

He's not proud and is happy to root around in the gravel in the unlikely event he missed something. 😱

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, it's slightly overstocked since I didn't think one of the cories would make it but I've been adding in addition plant life and increasing the water changes to around 30%. Everyone appears to be happy and its a super fun tank to watch. I'm thinking of the upgrade for Fawkes would have the same results with another community 10 gallon since it provides some more stimulation for the betta. Fawkes' old tank saw the cories in quarantine and he enjoyed watched them all day.

Yea. same with Salem. What I do is feed him on one side and then hide the cory food on the other. Some times he snatches it but since its a large feeder pellet he can't choke it down and gets bored quickly. He's also taken to swimming along the bottom watching the corys play in the exposed roots. No chasing, just perched on the driftwood or big leaf to watch them.

If you have the space you could definitely attempt to add in another species. Just be prepared to do a lot of research before hand.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok, good to know. The four I have now school together at the moment. The fifth, as I expected passed the other day. I spent an hour looking for him until I found him on the back of my filter. I may get another two but could I possibly put in some mid level fish then like a shoal of tetras or rasboras? I'm happy with the cories I have now and would ideally get some more live plants once I move into my new apartment.

Regardless, Fawkes has covered half of his tank with his bubble nest.

·
Super Moderator
18,807 Posts
Yes, you can still get two more Cory and 6-10 mid-level fish. Small Rasbora or Tetras would be good. I prefer Rasbora because of a 10-gallon's footprint and there are smaller ones under 1".

I've always viewed stocking per level.

Fawkes sounds to be a busy boy!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Belatedly.....I think having a shoal of Corys would be fabulous and I'm going to start researching them. For whatever reason I thought it would create a big bioload footprint.

I think my fish Maki would be cool with them, even tho he pestered an Apple snail like a yappy little dog so I rehomed the snail. I understand how the end of the snail's wiggly antenna would be so enticing, what I don't understand is when the fish went after it he sucked the whole antenna in like a long piece of spaghetti. Initially it looked like he bit it off! So where in his body did he fit such a long antenna?! It's kind of an xfile

Say I have a favor to ask and maybe this should be a new post but there's no forum for "fish care services. I believe you're in NYC. correct?

Here's the deal - today we decided to get out of Dodge for at least a week beginning on Wednesday the 7th. However due to my itchy feet we might end up in Canada for another few days.

I haven't figured out what to do about water changes. My neighbor can feed the fish, but she's elderly and I'm not putting WC on her.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to pay you to stop by for a couple of water changes. I'd be most appreciative because I perused CL adds under pet services and only one add mentioned fish care. We're across the street from Morningside Park if that makes a difference.

DM me if it's workable.

I suppose I could make a post directed to NYC members. Not sure what other ppl do re: fish care if they plan to be away for a couple weeks.
Our fishy is sensitive to his environment so I don't want to worry about him bugging out if his water isn't pristine He'll protest in scary ways.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just saw your post about the ginormous bubble nest. Isn't it funny how such a little fish contructs such a large nest? Maybe he's planning on a big family 😉

My fish recently blew the largest bubble nest to date (he's an eternal optimist).

Since he put so much energy into it, I felt a twinge badly about "wrecking it" with a water change. Fishy wasn't fazed and put all the scattered bubbles back where they belonged, and even added a wing of new construction to the original nest, LOL funny Phish 🙂

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sorry Phish, I'm afraid I'm in the midwest instead.

ANYWAYS

Ya girl and her fishy fam has moved into our new apartment. Both bettas are doing well and the temperatures are a heck of a lot more stable this year since I'm not having to share a room.

Fawkes still loves to play and build his nest. Since moving onto my desk, his nest has moved from the far side of the tank to the corner by my laptop. It's almost as if he says, "MOM LOOK WHAT I CAN DO. DO U LIKE? I CAN MAKE IT BIGGER." And bigger he has made it. A note to any one with a desk buddy like myself, put stickers on your laptop. Fawkes and Salem love to flare/charge at different stickers while I work.

The mini community tank is flourishing once again. There's been a bloom of green algae but it's slowly disappearing with each water change. Tje swords have gotten huge since moving. Perhaps they like my college water better than the stuff back home. Unfortunately, I lost a cory and rasbora following the trip but the Three Bros (Corys) and Three Amigos (Rasboras) are still plump and active. Salem has been thieving food. I've taken to stealthily feeding the trios before I turn on the lamp so he doesn't wake up. I'm concerned since his stomach is quite rounded so he's on day two of a short fast. Thankfully, he released a large poo at some point in the night and is much less circular.

My new desk has two cubbies rather than one, making it PERFECT for yet ANOTHER 5+ gallon tank to slide right in. I've been considering getting another betta for a while. My complex does not allow pets (fish are ok, obvi) so they're the next best thing. Besides, they're a lot less maintenance than the cat I would have would be anyways. I do have two tanks at home -one to be divided into 2 10 gallons and a 2.5 for holiday. The 2.5 isn't ideal but at most I'd fit a 7 gallon on my desk next to Fawkes.

I've also been working on getting my friend to upgrade their travel container for a legitimate tank for their betta. While physically, he appears healthy, the poor baby glass surfaces or hides under the one suction leaf that's decorating his container. While I doubt I can convinence them to go over a 2 gallon, anything at this point would be better as long as a heater fits in it. The apartments get quite cold during the summer with the heat on, I can't imagine the winter.

Regardless, new tank/fish picks coming soon? I have some media I cycle on the side for a hospital tank. Which isn't exactly helpful when my brain says "No more fish" but my heart says "One more life saved from death by 5 year old."

What else does one expect from a student in pre-veterinary med?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I thought you lived in NYC? Seems like you moved tho and sorry you lost some fish. But glad everyone else is good. Word of warning about potential over feeding in some bettas it can lead to negative consequences which I'll post about when I'm ready.

You sure have quite a gang for a dorm situation that's awesome. What school are you in? I was headed to Cornell for the same program you're in when I lost my father unexpectedly and had to go to work instead. I eventually went to Columbia on a scholarship for Biology/Life Sciences. My big brother said I reminded him of one of those nerds with a propeller on her head running around with a butterfly net 🤪

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I moved for school but not that far. I don't have a car so I'm at the mercy of my parents visiting me to go home at the moment :p. I'm at ISU and big oof. My brother calls me a nerd all the time.

But yea! Me too. Also, I know some of them. When I was younger I accidentally overfed my guppies and all their stomaches exploded. I was traumatized to say the least.

Yes, it's definitely a gang. I'm a bit of a nester so I have close to 30 plants in my room at the moment with more on the way due to a horticulture course I'm enrolled in for an elective. What's one more tank? I don't need space, I just need more life in my apartment.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's so funny I'm the same way about collecting plants the latest thing is rooting Pothos to put in a tank. Grows very easily even in water 🙂 Sorry to hear about your guppies that would've freaked me out.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts