Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can totally see why you couldn't leave without him, he is gorgeous!

I guess what they say about bettas is true. . . they are like potato chips, you can never just have one. :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You're too true!

I finally light trained Scy so now everyone's on board with the eating schedule. It took him a while to figure out what the pellets were and where they were coming from but now he guards the little hole on top of the tank whenever I come into the room.

Salem unfortunately lost his favorite plant during cleaning. Despite the anubis (i believe) exploding, the other plant did not fair as well and had to be pulled due to the rapid deterioration. I realize it was due to me lacking something in the water but I don't care play with my parameters after getting a solid cycle going.

I only have trios of my shoaling fish. I'm a bit concerned about their stress levels but all have rounded tummies and zip around in shoals together. They also are quite healthy and I've had bad experiences trying to introduce a new group of them into a tank (e.g all the new fish die even after a month of quarantine). Perhaps over winter break I'll try to introduce some more rasboras and cories but for now I think the tank's at a good equilibrium without being too full on each level.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It's been a hot minute but here we go.

All three bettas are healthy and happy with the quarantine. Scythe is in a 5.5 gallon aquarium that was unfortunately overheating due to the poor air conditioning in my room bedroom. He's currently heaterless but his water is consistently at a toasty 80 degrees.

Salem, the two remaining cories and three rasboras have been moved into my 20 gallon long for the time being. I am struggling with a brown algae bloom in all three of my tanks due to the high lighting in my room but our dog has a fascination with the bettas and attempts to knock over the tanks. So in my room they stay. Generally, the algae is easy to maintain with a weekly scrubbing and the occasional boiling of the silk plants.

Fawkes has a mysterious illness a few weeks ago. I thought I was going to lose my poor baby. He has what looked to be ick as well as a fungal growth, swim bladder problems, and was rapidly losing his dorsal fin. I perform regular methyl blue dips for about a week and he's doing much better! He went from barely moving on the bottom to zipping around his tank as usual. I have no idea what happened for him to get so sick. I think he was stressed from the move and then being upgraded to a 10 gallon aquarium. My water perimeters were normal with no ammonia or nitrite spikes oddly enough. He has the scars from the ick still on his body but no signs of the illness coming back. I've upped his water temperature to 82 degrees to kill off any remaining pathogens in the water.

Otherwise, on another side note I got a gerbil pair that live right next to Salem's tank. Occasionally, Salem will sit on a leaf by the gerbil enclosure and watch them with interest. I was concerned with him being stressed out but he's a bit of a scaredy betta. Honestly, I have no idea if he can see them but I like to think he finds them interesting to watch. Salem's easily 2+ years now and he's stopping making bubble nests. He mostly sits on his leaves and occasionally patrols his territory with a good flare show. He's my old, grumpy boi. Another fun note, one of my cories is disfigured -was when I got him- (oddly he lived over the other 4 cories). The two often sit on leaves or at the bottom together. I haven't seen any aggression from Salem towards his cory. He'll chase the rasboras occasionally but this one corycat enjoys cuddling up with the big bad betta rather than his remaining brother. I'm looking to round out both the rasbora and corycat shoals once quarantine continues to let up. I have a few spare tanks I can use to quarantine the new fish before I add them but I don't want to ruin the chill vibe my 20 gallon currently has. All three fish types have a good amount of space and I have yet to see severe signs of stress. However, I do know that cories and rasboras like to be in schools.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts