Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's me again.

I got my betta Dahli about a week and a half ago. He seemed pretty timid. If I stuck my finger in the water he would dart away from me. After a couple days he would come over if I had food but only if I dropped it in without touching the water level. Monday I went back to school, he was pretty stressed when I put him back in his cup. He kept swimming into the walls trying to get out. We got to school and I moved him back into his tank. Today I came home, just for the weekend and I opted to leave him. I fed him (a little extra) today as well as changing the water this morning. I checked to make sure the ph and amonia levels were even. I will be back sunday night. Is this okay? I know there isn't much I can do about it now but for future I'd like to know. I weighed the options and as guilty as I felt leaving him there I thought I two day fast would be less stressful than bringing him home and back.

onto my second thing. I haven't seen a bubble nest but I have seen little bits of bubbles in his tank. Not a lot but like a thin line along the leaf of a plastic plant or up against the side. From my understanding bubble nests are a sign of a happy/healthy fish. Is the fact that he's blowing bubbles at all good or should I be worried they are in such little bits?

As I said earlier Dahli's pretty timid. Today when I was saying goodbye to him before he left instead of swimming away from my finger her flared at it! This is the first time I saw him flare. Is this good because he isn't hiding from me or is it him feeling threatened or afraid that I'm going to put him back into the cup?

Lastly, I just received my IALs in the mail. Dahli is currently in a one gallon tank until I can upgrade him. How much should I put in and how long should I leave them in? They are large grade C from Amy.

Sorry for the constant stream of questions but Dahli and I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I left my apt to come back to home too, so I won't be back til Sunday also. Don't worry, they'll be fine =] I've done this a few times. I've read people saying if you go on a trip for a week, they'll also be ok, as long as they had a water change beforehand.

I've read that some people's bettas don't blow bubbles. They can be a sign of happiness, healthiness, boredom. I wouldn't be too worried. I've had my little crowntail for about 1 1/2 months and he just recently started blowing small bubble nests.

He could be getting used to you already. My other little guy (veiltail) will just flare at me for no reason sometimes xD I'll just pass by his tank, and he'll flare. I think I read one time they may be trying to get your attention, but since you put your finger, he could've been startled. My crowntail knows when he's being put into his cup since he sees it, he'll hide in his plants. Smart little fella.

I've never used IAL before, so maybe someone else can answer for you.

Hopefully this is helpful, though most is from my own experience or just from what I've read here. Maybe someone else will have some input for you =]

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
It's me again.

I got my betta Dahli about a week and a half ago. He seemed pretty timid. If I stuck my finger in the water he would dart away from me. After a couple days he would come over if I had food but only if I dropped it in without touching the water level. Monday I went back to school, he was pretty stressed when I put him back in his cup. He kept swimming into the walls trying to get out. We got to school and I moved him back into his tank. Today I came home, just for the weekend and I opted to leave him. I fed him (a little extra) today as well as changing the water this morning. I checked to make sure the ph and amonia levels were even. I will be back sunday night. Is this okay? I know there isn't much I can do about it now but for future I'd like to know. I weighed the options and as guilty as I felt leaving him there I thought I two day fast would be less stressful than bringing him home and back.
I think you did the right thing. :) Two days without food won't harm him at all, and it will be much less stress than the journey. :)

onto my second thing. I haven't seen a bubble nest but I have seen little bits of bubbles in his tank. Not a lot but like a thin line along the leaf of a plastic plant or up against the side. From my understanding bubble nests are a sign of a happy/healthy fish. Is the fact that he's blowing bubbles at all good or should I be worried they are in such little bits?
Bubblenests don't indicate happiness or health. I've seen really sick bettas blow them, and perfectly healthy ones refuse to. All they basically mean is "ladies, come and make babies with me!" (I'm not sure why girls build them sometimes...perhaps they are a little confused...)

As I said earlier Dahli's pretty timid. Today when I was saying goodbye to him before he left instead of swimming away from my finger her flared at it! This is the first time I saw him flare. Is this good because he isn't hiding from me or is it him feeling threatened or afraid that I'm going to put him back into the cup?
Naw, that's cute. He's probably saying, "Go ahead, leave me! I don't need a stupid human anyway!"
Nah, in all seriousness, I wouldn't read too much into it. Why he saw it as a threat today and not other days, we will probably never know, but if he felt the urge to flare at you, that's cool. :)

Lastly, I just received my IALs in the mail. Dahli is currently in a one gallon tank until I can upgrade him. How much should I put in and how long should I leave them in? They are large grade C from Amy.
Start with one and add from there, if you want to. You'll get an idea of how dark you want the water to be. The IAL may even bring out some bubblenesting urges in Dahli. My boy Odysseus only nests if he has IAL in there. :)

Sorry for the constant stream of questions but Dahli and I appreciate your help.
Hope this helps. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts