Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a few quick questions for all the experienced breeders.
While I have a spawn log it does not get a lot of traffic so I determined it would be better to ask here. Forgive me if you dislike the thread creation.

So I am a brand new breeder and my first spawn is in the process. Both male and female are in the breeding tank.
The male blew a few bubbles starting a nest then ignored it, flared at her in her vase(when I was doing the introduction to the tank). He then continued to do such, flare at her dance, blow a few bubbles, etc.

I watched her dance back at him, but not really flare.
I decided to give it a go and place her into the tank with him and remove her vase. Since then he has continued to flare and chase her with brakes in between. He is being extremely gently actually, he hasn't nipped her once. All she does is "run" at this point, he hasn't blown anything more than maybe 5 bubbles.

The questions are.
Is it normal/alright that he hasn't blown a nest yet? Will he eventually, or is he just too focused on showing off for her, and not blowing the nest?

Is it alright that all she does is run? Will she grow to be interested in him again? (she was flirting in her vase)

How long should I leave them like this if he doesn't start a bubblenest up? I was thinking of giving them the night to evaluate it.

As I said this is my first spawn, and while being impatiently patient, I don't want to have two bettas in my spawning tank that have no interest in each other/in breeding.
I have a couple other pairs I have been conditioning, and will continue preparing them just in case.
I know breeding can take up to a week before they deed is started and done.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using IAL and lots of live plants in the tank, so he has lots of options for a nesting site.
The situation is unchanged as of this morning. No bubblenest, the female does nothing but run. Both of them still look in near perfect condition though.

I will try cupping another male here in an hour or two.
I have also read cupping a second female may cause the female to show interest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.