Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Oh Killian... trying to make a bubble nest, so I wouldn't notice his terrible looking fins... *lol*

Ah well, at least he doing something constructive rather than biting his fins! :-D

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Ok so I worked on Killian/Tony's shared space... did a little betta musical tank...

I gave Tony back his decor and he's quite happy - swimming in and out of his tubes! He now resides next to Cap (who's pretty ok being at the end of the panorama which is good!)

Killian on the other hand, well, he still resides next to Tony, but he can now see Arrow (who resides with Flash & Baymax). I added in an underwater tiki statue... and kept 1 plant. I've also added a ping pong ball to both Killian and Tony's tanks - though I put the water a bit high and the ball is just a fixed structure now :lol:

Hopefully... with any luck this might help both of them stop biting long enough for their pretty fins to heal back up! Doubled the stress coat for the last few days so *fingers crossed* I start seeing some re-growth... just some...

If this doesn't work... then I guess next step will be to try to cover the top slits in the tank that the boys share and see how that goes. I figured Killian likes being near the other fish who may be just as aggressive as he is... maybe it'll keep him occupied!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Whoops... forgot the pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So it's been about 3 days since I moved Killian & Tony Stark's tank around and placed it between Flash, Baymax, Arrow [Betta trio] and Cap's [betta mono] tanks...

Seems Tony has stopped fin biting - I'm actually starting to see some clear areas of regrowth where he's bitten... so that is a plus! Huzzah! He's happy swimming in and out of his black tubes and loves trying to get Cap's attention at the side of the glass.

Killian on the other hand... is, from what I can see not getting worse (yay)... he's been busy trying to make Arrow flare at him (although Arrow can't flare, on account of his tumor right near his beard - Arrow does react though and swims around frantically like some betta's do when they are flaring)... and he's also been busy making a bubble nest next to the ping pong ball and a long line at the front of the tank. Hopefully there is some regrowth and his fins return back to that beautiful pre-biting look. If not, at least he is healthy and swimming happily and *cross fingers* NOT biting :lol: Though looking back on old photos - I got Killian on 15 May... and in a month, he's pretty much bitten half his tail... *sigh*

I've been double dosing the boys with stress coat now and their water has rooibos tea to make it darker for them.

Here are some photos - the first one is Killian - his fins now compared (in the smaller box) to his fins on the 17 May - you can see how much of his fins he's bitten. The second photo is Tony - his fins today compared (in the smaller box) to his fins a few days ago. The next photos are Killian's bubble nest.

I know there is no cure for fin biting... and that we just need to figure out their "ticks" and hopefully we get it right so they stop... I just thought I'd share my 2 fin biters journey with everyone so you don't feel so alone in this.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Super frustrated!

*sigh* I'm super frustrated (so apologize the tone of this, it's a bit of a rant)

On the 14 June - I changed around Killian/Tony Stark's tanks and they were happy... at least, happy enough that for the next 3 days, I managed to see fin regrowth, dosing them with double the stress coat and also water changing 30% every week.

Alas, I'm really frustrated! I woke up this morning to find that Tony had bit his fins!! (including all of that new regrowth) It looks horrid and terrible and I can't figure out what is going on! I just checked the two of them about an hour ago and now Killian has bit his fins too!!

*insert swear words here*

Up until last night their fins were doing really well!! They were showing good signs of regrowth... especially Killian's! His fins regrew about 1cm (maybe a little more) from the end of his dorsal fin - where he bit to [see previous pictures] (it's what I generally used to measure how bad he had bitten his fins down too).... now he's taken chunks out of the re-growth! :evil: It's been 13 days and I thought I had this beaten... the only thing I can think of in regards to any changes to their tanks is that last night I only added in half of the usual stress coat dosage I give them and 1/4 tsp AQ salts... any ways, I just did my weekly water change and added in the 5mL of stress coat (plus rooibos tea; no AQ salts)... and maybe I'll just have to be patient again and keep waiting to see if they stop and their fins regrow!

This is super frustrating cause they were both making progress! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Super Moderator
24,045 Posts
Sorry if this comes across as harsh but ... There. Is. No. Way. To. Stop. Fin. Biting. Period. Betta owners either learn to live with it or rehome the biters. It breaks my heart to see so many people stress because think they have it figured out only to have the biting resume.

It's not your fault. It's a behavior you can't control and, after reading about it for so many years, it seems a high percentage of Betta in open and/or shared barracks have the problem. As Hallyx says, a tank isn't properly planted if one "can glance over and easily see a Betta." Then add that Betta in a divided tank share more than water; they share stress, too. And phermones.

As Betta are not bright light/lightly planted fish, you could try muting the light and adding a jungle of plants but you'd still have the barrack's problem. Perhaps experiment with one of the biters in a single, muted-light, jungle-like tank.

Knock wood, since I've started keeping tanks like these fin biting has stopped. When I had a divided tank it was this planted in both sections. Top and bottom photos are same tank but bottom photo is when the 20 long was home to Dexter, an OHM. Notice how many darkened areas there are?

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
photos

Here are some photos:

photo 1: Killian's fins last night
photo 2: Stark's fins last night
photo 3: Killian & Stark's fins tonight :cry::evil:
photo 4: Killian's fins tonight (close up)
photo 5: Stark's fins tonight (close up)

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
At least I'm not alone

Sorry if this comes across as harsh but ... There. Is. No. Way. To. Stop. Fin. Biting. Period. Betta owners either learn to live with it or rehome the biters. It breaks my heart to see so many people stress because think they have it figured out only to have the biting resume.

It's not your fault. It's a behavior you can't control and, after reading about it for so many years, it seems a high percentage of Betta in open and/or shared barracks have the problem. As Hallyx says, a tank isn't properly planted if one "can glance over and easily see a Betta." Then add that Betta in a divided tank share more than water; they share stress, too. And phermones.

As Betta are not bright light/lightly planted fish, you could try muting the light and adding a jungle of plants but you'd still have the barrack's problem. Perhaps experiment with one of the biters in a single, muted-light, jungle-like tank.

Knock wood, since I've started keeping tanks like these fin biting has stopped. When I had a divided tank it was this planted in both sections. Top and bottom photos are same tank but bottom photo is when the 20 long was home to Dexter, an OHM. Notice how many darkened areas there are?
Thanks Russell - I'm not so much stressed about it, as just frustrated *lol* it seemed they were doing so well for the last 2 weeks... but then tonight it just changed... *sigh* In any case... I have been keeping a record of any changes I've made to their tanks [you're welcome to move this thread to journals - if it's better suited there]. I do see your point though about increasing the plants and providing more darkened areas for hiding.

And while I know there isn't much I can do to stop the biting, I suppose this is a good place to document changes etc. so other members might also find solace in the fact that many of us have betta's/fish that nip their own fins.

I will post a few things that have worked/not worked for my fish (at least for 13 days any ways :lol:) - perhaps it may help others (even though there isn't much that can be done if they really want to nip/bite their fins - I've accepted it for the most part, but it's more of an "ok, so you did it again *sigh*" kind of frustration)

Their water is heated to 30C (86F) - it is cleaned weekly; with a 30-45% water change; stress coat is 5mL and no AQ salts (even though the box says it can be added to water that has been changed), rooibos tea @ 1hr (for darker water)

For both boys:

- I have ruled out solitude - it was worse when they weren't around other fish. So, I have moved both of them around between the other betta's I own so they have a variety of fish to look at and be kept occupied.
- ping pong balls - they don't play with them, but on occasion Killian likes to blow bubble nests around it
- They didn't seem to like heavily planted tanks w/ no ornaments - I tried, but they both nipped more (especially Tony)
- lights are on for about an hour (max)... usually I just leave their light off - the only other light source around them at night (mostly) is maybe from one of the other tanks or the room light) - lights bother Killian more than Tony

That being said, I'll most likely try and change them around again and see how they go... I guess I have yet to find their "tick".... guess it was a little too hopeful that they would stop after 13 days of not biting *lol*

·
Super Moderator
24,045 Posts
It's not going to stop. Can't say it many more ways or plainer than that.

When you moved the boys to solo tanks did you move them with their current decor? I've observed in a large percentage of fin biters: High light + low planting = fin biting. Your tanks would be considered sparsely planted and brightly lit; two major stressors. Which is why I suggested you try a heavily-planted tank; not just replicating their current habitat in a solo aquarium.

I think this would be better as a journal. I'll do that now. Maybe someone will change from sparsely planted and brightly-lit tanks to a more natural habitat. Might bring the same results I experienced.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It's not going to stop. Can't say it many more ways or plainer than that.

When you moved the boys to solo tanks did you move them with their current decor? I've observed in a large percentage of fin biters: High light + low planting = fin biting. Your tanks would be considered sparsely planted and brightly lit; two major stressors. Which is why I suggested you try a heavily-planted tank; not just replicating their current habitat in a solo aquarium.

I think this would be better as a journal. I'll do that now. Maybe someone will change from sparsely planted and brightly-lit tanks to a more natural habitat. Might bring the same results I experienced.
When I moved the boys to solo tanks - I didn't put in their decor - well I kept the plants, added more and removed the ornaments & had different substrate; that being said, I'm willing to try it again... perhaps it was due to the plants I used (since I only had plastic - panty hose tested) - but now they have silk plants - I might have to add larger silk plants.

Also, thanks Russell for moving this to the journal section :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I feel your fin biting pain. I'm trying to add more plants after trying other things like tank upgrades. I hope you see some progress.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I feel your fin biting pain. I'm trying to add more plants after trying other things like tank upgrades. I hope you see some progress.
Yes... same to you! Well at least we're not alone!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Killian/Tony's tanks re-scaped

So I have added more plants to both Killian & Tony's tanks in hopes that it provides more darkened areas for them to hide - in case that's a large reason they are fin biting... here are some photos of their tanks before and now...

photo 1: what it looked like originally when I got the boys
photo 2: what it was for about 13 days before the biting happened again
photo 3: what it is now

As you can see I kept the ornaments & added larger silk plants that flop over to provide more cover. More often than not, when I look over at all of my tanks in a given moment, I can't see the fish usually... unlike Killian/Tony, the other boys I have aren't too fussed about having lots of plants, they do enjoy their hideaways though.

*fingers crossed* that Killian/Tony like their new plants and gives them more privacy

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So it's been just a little over a week now and I've noticed a few things with Killian and Tony and this fin biting thing:

1) Killian needs a heavily planted tank! That's a win, cause he's some what stopped his biting... mostly seeing regrowth... but there is a small chunk missing from his anal fin *sigh*

2) The over head tank light has remained off for these 10 days; only lighting used is the house light, cause I need light when I'm in my living room and the light's on the two tanks beside Killian/Tony - they just get the residual brightness (which isn't that bright)

3) Tony does not like a heavily planted tank! I put that huge plant in his tank... well, he had 2 and he bit more! So out one went! Tony has bitten almost half his tail away... but I checked tonight and there is some regrowth since I took out one of the two large plants on the weekend... positive side!!

After their water change on Sunday, I didn't bother putting any rooibos tea in their tank... I did however, add in some aquarium salts (as per the box) and have been continuing the stress coat at 5mL.

They've both started eating NLS pellets... and other wise, they're happy and swimming.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Interesting. I added two silk plants and a small anubias to Phil's tank. I came back from 4th of July vacation and he bit a lot. I assumed it was two days without food but maybe not. He also hates his tank being messed with so that could be it too. So many possible causes. Sigh.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.