Betta Fish Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1241 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I've fed Vitachem-soaked pellets to fish that I have gotten from stores with bad fin damage and I found that it helped their fins grow back a lot faster.

All this talk is very fascinating.

Oh, I just got a female plakat from Thailand and she reminds me of that female you use to have as your avatar. I have always thought that fish was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #983 ·
I've fed Vitachem-soaked pellets to fish that I have gotten from stores with bad fin damage and I found that it helped their fins grow back a lot faster.

All this talk is very fascinating.

Oh, I just got a female plakat from Thailand and she reminds me of that female you use to have as your avatar. I have always thought that fish was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.
Oooo. I must see this female! Please post her. Its the "betta science" stuff here at bettafish that I enjoy too Feng. Vitachem really does speed the healing. I couldn't get Gilligans fins growing back (after LGG to tore him to shreds) Within a week of using Vitachem you could notice a major improvement. Impressive ingredient list imo. A bottle lasts a really long time.

Guaranteed Analysis (per ounce)
Vita-Chem Freshwater
Moisture 90.1% max Crude Protein 21.8% min
Crude Fat 0.09% min Crude Fiber 2.0%
Vitamin A 5000 IU Vitamin B12 40 mg
Vitamin E 32 mg Thiamine hydrochloride 25 mg
Vitamin K 20 mg Vitamin C 18 mg
Vitamin B1 15 mg Vitamin B2 15 mg
Vitamin B6 12 mg Biotin 4.0 mg
L-Leucine 4.0 mg Lysine Monohydrochloride 3.0 mg
dl-Phenylalanine 3.0 mg L-Arginine hydrochloride 2.5 mg
dl-Isoleucine 2.0 mg Threonine 2.0 mg
L-Methionine 1.0 mg dl-Tryptophan 1.0 mg
L-Cystine
hydrochloride
monohydrate 1.0 mg L-Histidine
hydrochloride
monohydrate 1.0 mg

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Hope you don't mind me posting the picture in your journal, but here you go! I'm on the road right now, but this was a picture from shortly after she was unboxed.

Wow, full of vitamins. I never really thought about the dietary supplements we humans take being able to help fish too, not until I started reading more about this stuff online anyway. It is why I like fishkeeping. It is one of those hobbies where you just keep learning.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #985 ·
She could be Cookies twin! Thanks for posting her. Which breeder did you get her from? This is a pic of Cookie when she got here. I miss that fish. It is amazing how much there can be to learn in this hobby. Plus there are different opinions on things like diet, tank size, medications ect. I learn something new every day but Im getting old and forgetting something every day as well. Good luck with that beauty koi girl she is lovely.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I got her from an Aquabid seller called Fantasybettas. She was listed as a "Fancy Silver HMPK." I'm actually astounded by how much bigger she is than I expected... Not quite a giant, but she is definitely one of the largest normal females I've ever seen. The auction pictures did not do her justice. She looked pretty scrawny in them, but I loved those "dalmation" spots and she was cheap. Goes to show that crummy pictures may not be representative of the fish. :-D

I always loved your pictures of Cookie. Always thought she was so cool and unique looking.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have been following your salt conversation with interest. I was wondering, at the lowish maintenance dose, if it would be safe in my planted tanks with my Nerite snails?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
There are a few plants that are somewhat sensitive to salt but the vast majority will do just as well as before. The plant matter that suffered the most with low level salinity in my tanks was the slimy green algae which was ok by me. I keep nerite and assassin snails and they have been same as always.

This is from a snail site re salinity. Snails should do just fine with 1 ppt. maybe even better because snails have to deal with bad bacteria just like betta.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/nerite.php

Some people find Nerite snails are very hard to breed while others state that they breed like rabbits. The truth likely depends on the aquarium in which they are kept and the exact species kept. They only breed in brackish water (1.005-1.010 salinity); they never be breed in freshwater and only seldom breed in saltwater

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes I use supplements on a regular basis. B12 is terrific for betta fish. Ive read some old studies from the IBC files and the results were very positive. Vitachem was a great addition. Highly recommend. I also add probiotics to bloodworm feed once a week which has prevented internal parasites from getting a foothold and I haven't had a dropsy or constipation issue since doing this.
Would you say it would help aid a fish already infected with dropsy? I'm not sure if it is dropsy she has but basically she swims vertically rather than horizontally. She's doing a lot better strength wise since I first got her but she still swims that way.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
Today's the day, how was the auction?
The turnout was massive. Plus there was a huge amount of stuff for sale. Prices were higher especially for plants. I picked up some used tanks for cheap. I took some axolotls and they were a big hit and got really good prices for them imo. I had the only betta for sale there and sold 7, I should have taken more of both species in hindsight. I made a lot more than I spent which is a pleasant surprise. Fish + auctions = happy me. The Edmonton auction is April 19 I believe.

Would you say it would help aid a fish already infected with dropsy? I'm not sure if it is dropsy she has but basically she swims vertically rather than horizontally. She's doing a lot better strength wise since I first got her but she still swims that way.
Well dropsy often shows when the kidneys get infected, usually from an aeromonas infectection When this goes systemic (internal) it can contribute to dropsy. You can help prevent it by soaking dry foods so as to not introduce air into the intestines which can start an Aeromonas infection in the intestines and swim bladder. You can soak pellets in water, garlic juice, liquid vitamin mix, or even medication mix if fish is sickly. Keep the water params good and include positive mineral ions by adding a little aquarium salt. Use antibiotics sparingly, many have side affects on the liver and kidneys such as Neomycin and Tetracycline. Kanamycin is a better choice. However antibiotics will often lay waste to your fish good gut bacteria (microflora) which is why I try to not ever use them if possible. You may have better outcome with just using a probiotic at this point sprinkled on bloodworm. I will say that not very many betta make it back from full blown dropsy due to liver and kidney damage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey CJ, were all the bettas/axolotls yours? I spotted them right away and pointed them out to my mom. Kinda wished my tank had been ready for any one of them, I would've adopted them in a heartbeat! It was super cool to go though, first time at an auction and I was super overwhelmed right away.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #993 ·
All the betta were mine. They were from the Zues/Chi spawn. I was a little surprised there were no other betta. There was another seller of axolotl. Mine were the ones in the plastic containers. The other seller brought some very tiny fry, barely hatched and imho too small to be sold as they should be fed new hatch bbs at that age and not everyone is up to speed on the care for them. I don't like to sell them until the axolotl is 2.5-3 inches. Did you buy anything there? The selection was fantastic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yup! I bought a few plants for my tank, and because my mom was with me, we got a 20G tank as well as some guppies. For some odd reason she really wanted guppies, so I'm gonna set up that 20G tonight and get those guppies in there. I spent most of last night setting up my 5G with the plants so the tank can start cycling, but I'm a little worried that my sponge filter is producing too strong a current. It bubbles quite a bit, which doesn't bother me, but I'm worried about my future fish.

The guppies are currently in dechlorinated, aquarium treated water in a bucket that I did my best to keep at room temp, which I think is 25C right now. I'm probably going to do a water change, or if I can get the 20G set up before bed, get them acclimated to the tank.

Ahh yes I saw the tiny, tiny axolotl, I was very surprised to see them there. I know I definitely wouldn't know enough to care for them at that age. Zues/Chi spawn were all gorgeous! Next time I'll snag one for sure!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #996 ·
Gilligan x LGG Lots of growing since upsizing the tank size. It really does make a huge difference. All fish in this spawn 15.00

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
What a beautiful tail on Nero! Do you find it drags/slows him down any? My RT has a bit of trouble with the weight but I moved him to a more planted tank.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #998 ·
Females for sale from sorority. Odds are they will get along very well together.

Eggy girls that would likely be fairly easy to breed. All females 10.00

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #999 ·
Chester x SP009 The experimental spawn. Big for their age. Yellow dominant. You just never know with these fish. All fish in this spawn 20.00 Ultra hyper fish.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Loving your Dal girls, if only shipping wasn't so painfully costly...

Gah you keep posting just before I do lol. Gosh your fish are so pretty and cute and I just wanna raid your fish room >.< Loving the yellows in the experimental spawn, especially the girl with the blue.

981 - 1000 of 1241 Posts