Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had bettas in both bowls and tanks. Big Eyes here is in a 2 gallon bowl. He's best in a bowl because this betta HATES current.

But this algae is different from the others we have had. It is very stubborn. Also can get a really BRIGHT green. Sometimes I think I see blackish stuff, like a layer in the gravel, but could be shadows.

For awhile large weekly water changes (he tolerates them as long as they don't last too long but flicks his tail at them) kept it under control...but not recently. Room doesn't vary that much in temperature, usually mid 70s. I check water temp. Due to algae tried keeping lights near bowl off. No go. It doesn't increase when we have a heat wave. No place else but gravel. Considering replacing gravel but he gets stressed very easily and am not sure if good idea...?
If necessary of course will be done.

You can see it in this pic I posted earlier about another concern, his growing black spot. I have a third concern about patchiness on his head, will post separately...but is a reason want to keep water quality excellent.

Regularly test with a standard test strip plus separate ammonia test. All fine.

Arrowhead spring water, dechlorinated.

Really need help...at my wit's end, and worried about this green misery near our baby.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I THINK this algae is from too much light. What time span are your lights on? Are they on a timer?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I agree with Seahorse. Too much light. It's not toxic. I have had it many times, and again...with tanks that were too near a window.

You could start from scratch....bin the gravel you have now. give the bowl and deco a good hot water bath. (put them in your bathtub and let the hot water run in it for 10 minutes or so.)
Make sure your betta is secure in another covered container to avoid mishaps.
The patch on his back looks blue......is that correct?

699 Posts
Bettas do best in warmer temperatures...78-82 degrees. I highly recommend that you purchase an adjustable heater. I understand that heaters can be costly...I also understand that this doesn't really help your problem. I don't know much about algae, as I've never had a problem with it. But your fish will be healthier and more active in a warmer bowl, and an adjustable heater will prevent dangerous temperature swings which could put your betta's life at risk. I hope that someone who is more experienced with algae can help you...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.