Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in a public library. Summer Reading is well under way, and we decided we'd get a library fish to celebrate our animal theme this year. Our space and money is limited, so we settled on a betta as probably the easiest to care for given our limitations.

We had no idea what we were getting in to. I didn't even know what to look up! When we got him a month ago, everyone thought you could just keep him in a bowl, and we had no books on betta care. It's been a series of mishaps. Somehow the poor fellow has managed to live through it all. It's been quite the learning experience. Right now I'm in the process of replacing his plastic decorations with some live plants, both to help with ammonia and because it looks like he's shredded his fins on rough decoration edges.

Anyway.

I love this little guy. I love this little guy SO MUCH. He seems to have as much fun watching the kids as the kids have watching him, and isn't bothered by the light and action in the library at all. It was really difficult to get a good picture, since he kept turning to stare at the camera. He's a sociable sort of fellow.

I can't wait to have one of my own at home, but my husband says I have to wait until the end of the summer just to make sure my adoration doesn't lose its sparkle. I don't think it will. It seems like I'm hooked.

His name is Mr. Kitty. I blame the children's librarian for that one.

Here he is guarding his bubble nest:

Here he is resting on his favorite place:

·
Registered
86 Posts
He is exceptionally beautiful, and do you plan on taking him home?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
He looks pretty good, good job. The only thing I'd suggest is a $20 heater since the libraries where I live are kept pretty cold, welcome to the forum btw

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He'll live out his life either at the library or at my house, so have no fear about his long-term welfare. My boss likes him; I can keep him at my desk if we think the kids are bothering him too much.

I do think a heater might be a good idea, but I've heard you can easily fry fish in small tanks with them. It's a 3 gallon tank - is that big enough for it to be safe? Also, do any of them come with battery power or do they all need plugs?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
All decent heaters need plugs, you can get a 25watt or 50watt heater and that should be ok for a 3G (most of the time you hear about frying a fish that fish is in a 1g) but 25watt aqueon heater at Walmart for $20 and is still the best heater I ever bought

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe Petco sells a a smaller heater fit for a 1 to 2 Gallon tank, that should heat his tank pretty well without frying him. Great idea as well for the live plants, I can tell he is in loving and caring hands.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All right, I'll look into getting him a heater tomorrow. It's payday, anyway. Might as well buy something useful before I'm out of money. :p

Yes, he is beautiful. I got him at a local pet store. The person in charge of the bettas seems to really care for their welfare. I've never seen a sick or dying betta, and the cups are always clean.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Your pet store must have a really good fish dept manager!

I'm always impressed when I go into good fish departments. Seeing all the gorgeous, healthy fish brightening up a display or fish walls makes me want to come back and buy a whole new setup -- it's good for sales!

I love your library fish, and I'm glad you'll be getting him a heater!

I think you will have a betta before the end of summer. o.o that's the way things work here. If you're crazy enough about a fish to join a forum and discuss it/show it after you've already shared photos and stories with friends, you are 500% hooked.

4 days until the Petco $1/Gallon sale. *coughcough* May as well grab a 10 gallon. Divide that thang up. Get 2 bettas. Because how can you settle for one?!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4 days until the Petco $1/Gallon sale. *coughcough* May as well grab a 10 gallon. Divide that thang up. Get 2 bettas. Because how can you settle for one?!
$1 per gallon sale? Oh myyyy. The thought makes my heart go thumpety-thump.

Yeah, I figured I'd better join up and find people to talk to here before my family reaches the end of its tolerance - although both my husband and roommie have been very good about listening to my "what Mr. Kitty did today" stories. Ha!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a heater and a thermometer today. Mr. Kitty is VERY fascinated by the new equipment.

Also picked up some moss balls. I couldn't resist! They look like green tribbles! :lol:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I love my moss ball,just be sure to give it a bath every water change (run it under the faucet and roll it into a ball)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The big one had a huge bulge, too, which came off with an easy pinch. Lucky me - three moss balls for the price of two. Considering the -small- one was 7 bucks, not bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts