Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the loss of one of my beloved goldfish in the jaws of a snapping turtle :-( I knew I wanted to get another goldfish to start fresh with in my pond.

First these are my current goldfish:

This is Slim. I got him at walmart when he was just a tiny little dude in 2007.

This is Slim today 7 years later.

And this is Slim's offspring the 6 year old Tangerine. He was the only one from Slim's first spawn that I saved.

This is the 125gal pond they live in:

Now on to the new goldfish. I wanted to pick out two new goldfish for the pond so I went into town today to see what was being offered.

My first stop was Wal-mart in the hopes that I could maybe rescue another goldfish like Slim.

Their tanks were so dirty I couldn't even see the fish, a serious brown algae bloom like this signals some chemical imbalance in the tank.

There were some okay fish but many were sick and several were dead. I decided to move on to petsupplies plus. The tanks there were much cleaner and there were no dead fish. I fell in love with these two:

A cute chinese lion head and a pretty fantail :D The lionhead was so adorable I couldn't resist!

Here they are acclimating to their quarantine tub....

.....and released!

They will stay in the quarantine tank for a while. I'll be monitoring them and hopefully the new little babies will grow a bit before they're put in with the local giants :lol:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
... That lionhead is awesome LOL I love fancies ! I have to myself oranda and ranchu and their still as small as your 2 newest fish -____- apparently they don't wanna grow yet haha

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
We once had a lion head in a tank with a bunch of guppies and a white fancy, his name was bubba and he ended up growing to 7-8 inches before the entire tank suddenly got sick and died, he was awesome and even let (10 year old me) pet him ^^

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Both the new fishes continue to grow well. The lionhead is really outpacing the fantail in the growth department so I've started hand feeding him a few bonus bloodworms to help him catch up.

Can you believe all that poop is from one night? Their diet is algea wafers, frozen spirulina and a few bloodworms every other day for protein boost. Algae is a great goldfish food because it does not cause constipation :D

And a bonus video to show size!
http://youtu.be/pxW6HiIpVuk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Awww I used to love my fancies! I had 3 in a 55 gallon, then we got hit with a hurricane, 10 days no power. I wound up losing them all within the next month. Just starting again with a betta and a planted 10 gallon, I figure the betta will be easier to manage should I get in that situation again.

Am envious of your pond! Maybe someday I will be able to have one.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow.. those goldfish look sweet. The red headed one reminds me of a goldfish(Or to be more persise, a line of goldfish) named Redcap. He looks adorable.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I <3 goldies! I want a lion head goldfish so bad. Your guys are so cute!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for someone who knows about Goldfish. 9 years ago, my middle school daughter got a goldfish named Bob. Long story short, He now lives in a 50 gal. tank it's been a long learning curve. Surprised I have kept him alive so long. He had some infection on him and we cured it with some meds from the fish store. However now I keep getting white foam on the top of his tank. I do water changes, but it comes back (never had this problem before). Now he just developed some white gunk on his right eye (2 days). We have canister filter, hang over the tank filtter, air bubbler. Any recommendations?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.