Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planing to breed my bettas again but my tanks keep growing algae.Is there any algae eating fish or invertebrates that can eat algae without harming the fry?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am planing to breed my bettas again but my tanks keep growing algae.Is there any algae eating fish or invertebrates that can eat algae without harming the fry?
Sure there are, Shrimp would be my choice in smaller tanks along with snails.
Algae is most often result of too much light both in duration, and intensity.
Problem with using live creatures is once algae is gone, creatures often slowly starve.
If you have sufficient plant mass that is thriving,,then algae has harder time surviving, but too much light will encourage it .

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only breed my bettas outside so maybe it is the sunlight causing the problem.
Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I only breed my bettas outside so maybe it is the sunlight causing the problem.
Thanks.
Might try some mesh screen over tanks ,or move them to location that see's less sunlight ?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
nerite snails? they can and will espcape, though.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The only things I can think of are some species of shrimps and a snail.

Be warned though algae eaters do not eat all kinds of algae, so you'll be left with some algae regardless.

But I would recommend snails, because most shrimps are omnivores and will eat fry, so grab a couple Nerite snails, they don't grow too big or can breed in freshwater.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I've heard that with more than one nerite that they won't get enough algae.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My lfs do not sell snails.:(

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Try finding some duckweed or water lettuce.. It should block a lot of sunlight from algae.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:thankyou:

·
Registered
884 Posts
I usually see people using snails - I have yet to see shrimps. (I hate snails though... they are too poopie)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Ponds snails and nerite snails don't poop as much. But they still poop a lot! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts