Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, many of my followers on my roleplay blog on Tumblr know i adore betta fish. many of them love seeing new pictures of my babies, and i've been told it was adorable how much i love the little guys and girls. :B shoot, one of my bettas was named after a buddy of mine off there, and Todd was named after a friend's roleplay character!

so, it was no surprise when a pal of mine messaged me, saying they were getting a pair of bettas from her roommate.

what was a surprise was finding out how they were kept, and what their fate would have been if she hadn't saved them.

we talked for a long while, and she told me, she wanted me to adopt them. i couldn't say no. they were just too adorable, and needed someone who's gonna love them. it's going to cost me just shipping(express, so they don't stress any more than they have), and it's not going to be until they feel better.

so, without further ado, meet Ritter, and Fritter.

Ritter, the male. he's in worst shape than his gal pal, and doesn't eat alot.

Fritter, a female plakat. she's in better shape than Ritter, and is apparently very adorable.

they were in a half gallon tank. without a divider. never had a water change, and had NO dechlorinator. poor babies were going to be flushed if my friend hadn't taken them in! understandably, they're in rough shape, but are doing alot better than they had been. i'm not going to get them until they feel alot better. i worry about little Ritter the most. :<

apparently, Ritter won't eat much unless he can see Fritter, and they hang out close to each other in their own tanks. it's kinda cute.

sorry about huge pictures. :I

they're not even 100% mine, and i already love them. they're going to get tanks beside each other when they're here, and lots of plants and i'm gonna spoil them rotten. they totally deserve it, with what they went through. <3

·
Registered
843 Posts
Wow. I love fritter's tail! How unique.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he's lovely. i'm really hoping he perks up more. he's just so pretty. .3. hopefully, he'll get his namesake's spunk and strength!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Those fish are really lucky to have someone like you who cares so much! And they are quite pretty too!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. :V i'm glad the gal took them in! their tank was never cleaned and never had dechlorinator, so they feel pretty cruddy right now. she has a HM of her own, so she knows how to care for bettas. now, it's just getting them perked back up and healthy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It is wonderful that they have been saved. I hope they heal up and feel better soon.
I know you shouldn't keep females and males together, but I have to wonder... If they are so bonded, would it be better for them to stay together?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm not sure, but i'd rather not risk it myself. they could have just put up with each other, because they felt so cruddy and didn't feel like fighting. when they feel better, they could very well duke it out, ya know?

i'm wanting to get a 5 gallon tank and divide it for them. .3. i have room on my desk, but just need to buy the tank, heater, divider, and plants for them. :B

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Aww... they're adorable and I'm so glad they are getting a second chance at life!! Good for you :)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Maybe you should get them a clear divider? I wonder if they can form an emotional attachment or if they are just sick?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I wonder if, after giving them a proper home with plants, they'll forget each other? I wonder of the reason he won't eat without being able to see her is because he's insecure or paranoid and needs to know where she is, not because he "loves" her but because of more primal instincts which lead to death?

I don't know. They are nice fish though :) Some people are so stupid about fish care. Glad you will have them soon!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's why i told her not to put them together. :V because, once they feel better, they might duke it out. x:

but, if they still hang out near each other after they feel better, it'd be interesting. i plan on keeping them near each other either way, whether it's tanks beside each other, or a divided tank.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Most of my bettas are loners but I have a girl who lost almost all of her sorority mates, so then was in a divided 10g with her best friend, who then tragically died too- With her last friend gone Cleo was incredibly depressed, with actual stress lines... I had to get her another tank mate (male CT) and they literally hang out together at their clear divider constantly. I will never put them together, but I do believe she really does need a friend next to her.

Be sure to post pics when you get them set up at your home!!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they won't be coming for a while, but the gal who has them now keeps me updated. :3 she posted a video of them on Tumblr. they're so cute. .3.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
They're so pretty! Hope they're ok. :)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so, my babies moved to their new home today. :V not my home, not yet. the gal who rescued them is keeping them until they're healthy enough to ship. :3

meanwhile, i'm saving up to them them this tank:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-gal-Tank-Aquarium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/14660258

i'm gonna divide it between them, so they each get 2.5 gallons, and stay beside each other. :3 i have two dividers already, they'd just probably need to be cut to fit. i'll also need a ton of new plants for them. .3. lots of pretty silk for my babies. :V

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
she put Ritter, the male, into the 5 gallon she's going to divide for them, and said he won't stop swimming! this is the most he's moved around since she got them, so that's wonderful news! <3

saving up to get some plants for the tank now. :V what i want to get them is going to cost around $20, give or take. :I

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
picture time. :V i didn't save nearly ALL the pictures taken of them in their new home. :B just one of each and a group shot. xD

already looking 100% better! <3

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
awwww =D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts