Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought IALs to put in my 2 fish tanks and they seem to be causing problems more than helping... I just moved Antione into a 10 gallon and put my mystery baby in Antiones old 5.5 gallon. Antiones fins are now clamped and i believe one of his gills isnt closing all the way... one lays more flat than the other... also, the mystery baby has had clamped fins for a while.... and hasnt eatedn for 2 or 3 days... theyve both been swimming around as usual i think but i dont know why theyre acting sick... for a few days now ive expected to come home to at least one dead fish... what do i do?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Oh, well then I am not sure.

Do you have a water test kit? Knowing the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are helpful.

Maybe fill this out and see if some of the more expert members can help:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? was 10, moving him back to 5.5 now
What temperature is your tank? normally around 79
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and the occasional blood worm
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets at a time, twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week in the 5 gallon
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? topfin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
not recently, putting him in new water now though so ammonia and everything is 0
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 150
Alkalinity: 180

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he floats on his side at the surface of the water and his scales look like theyre starting to pinecone...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? very lethargic. doesnt eat. doesnt acknowledge my finger next to his cup/tank unless the water moves, and then he starts swimming again for a few seconds
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning, but i think maybe they started a while ago... i was a little preoccupied with the baby... who died anyway :(
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no i dont know how :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? im not sure. he had what i thought was fungus but i was told was just him shedding his slime coat. treated him with melafix

he has a swim bladder issue and yesterday it looked like one of his gills werent closing all the way but i dont notice it today. when he lays on his side its always the same side. i really dont want this guy to die :(

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I wouldn't blame the IAL unless it was contaminated. Also, don't feel too bad, things happen that are maybe out of our control. You might have been moving him around too much or the water quality is messed up or something. IAL is beneficial! lol So unless it came in contact with something I don't see how it could have clouded your water.

Maybe put an IAL in a separate bowl to see if it does the same thing. It might be a bad de-chlorinator. When I bought Ludendorff he seemed fine but the next morning he had clamped fins and then fin rot (which I guess mist have been triggered from the store I didn't notice) . A strict regimine which lasted about a month finally brought him around.

DOn't give up on your fish yet. It seems daunting the confusing way they're behaving and reacting but it must be too much at once or water quality or something and once a stable environment is set up and they come around it will be so rewarding!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Oh, baby died. :( I'm sorry.
Poor Antoine, IMO you should probably skip conservative treatments and get a more powerful drug. :/
Also, keep him in the 5 gallon, and consider buying a filter and fishlessly cycling the 10 gallon, it'll help create a stable environment.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In a 5 I would do 2 50% each week. The 100% might be stressing them? I don't think melafix is good for bettas. Stress Coat water conditioner might help.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ill try to get a picture. he was absolutely fine with everything ive been doing until i moved him to the new tank and added the IAL. i know its not the IAL itself but i dont know whats wrong :( how do i treat him?? im afraid ill come home tomorrow morning to a dead Antione :'( ill post pics in a second

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he looks dead :( one of them is him in the middle of swimming away. and the cat magazines are what i use to keep the tank level... you cant see in the pictures, but his scales are slightly pinconing and he looks like he has fin rot... the tips of his fins are dark and theres this white stringy kind of stuff on them...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
He looks really far gone >.<
I feel horrible saying this but you should prepare yourself to lose him. My eyes are watering just looking at him, I got kinda attached to him too :/
I'd message Sakura8 or OFL to look at him though.
Either way, I don't think you should give up on owning betta :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm really sorry I think he's gone :(
I think the only thing you could try now is a salt bath, but I'm not sure it would work

·
Registered
722 Posts
Don't give up on him, but be prepared for the worst just in case.

I can't see really well but the last pic looks like he has a bacterial problem if his fins have redish tips with goo on the ends. Aquarium Salts would be my best guess. (I'm not sure though) He looks pretty fragile right now though.

All you can do, is do your best. I believe even if you loose him, he will know you did your best to save him.

Maybe contact OFL and see what she thinks? Either way I hope your boy pulls through.

Best wishes

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm sorry for your fish problems I know it can be frustrating when you are doing the best you can. and you did the best you could and you gave him your love which is the most important thing. there are other bettas out there that need just as much caring so you shouldn't give up on betta keeping. I had about three bettas before I got the perfect one

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Awwh. Im sorry about your fishie.

I wouldn't give up on owning them though if you like having them. Maybe take a break for a while and keep an eye out for one that "speaks" to you. I lost about 20 in one shot when moving to alaska to NY in January but as long as there are bettas in need, I shall be there to save them :-D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.