Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want want want to do a community or sorority tank at some point. My fishy inlaws might be planning on helping, but at any rate, it's not going to happen until at the *earliest* post-family vacation in early July.

But as I was browsing down the glass "stuff" aisle at Michaels, a heart shaped one of these fell into my cart, because it really wants to be a piece of decor for this future tank.

Any opinions on these? They claim to be just glass.

http://www.michaels.com/oversized-diamonds/fl1355,default,pd.html

It was obviously meant to be mine. I got up to the register and this half a pound chunk of lovely glass rang up at one PENNY. I was all "...uh...really?" The girl at the register was all "Um...they have any more of those back there? :)"

·
Registered
980 Posts
wow.. a penny? Get a few more and send me one!

If they're just glass and the edges aren't sharp, it should be fine. I would wash it with hot water and vinegar, check the edges with the pantyhose test and let the whole thing sit in a bucket of water for 2 days to see if there is paint on or in it that will seep out. (I doubt it will, but this is just my normal process for any found object I'm putting in a tank.)

And then take pictures cause those are awesome!

·
Registered
980 Posts
a penny is worth 1 cent.

Don't you love American logic?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a penny, aka 1 cent, not a pence! Which floored me - the checkout girl said that's what happens when something is discontinued/on final clearance. Based on her question, I suspect if there *were* any more back there, they are gone now :)

I'll get it all cleaned up, it's a clear one, so no dyes or coating, I don't think.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Pence is just multiple for penny...there are one hundred pence (pennies) in a British pound.

I like the look of those decorations. Shame you can't get heaps and make a dragon treasure cave!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Why not just call it one cent? Makes me think you are back to using British money. :p
Sometimes it is one cent, sometimes it's a penny. Depends on the person, really.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Those are super nice. I have a big one made of glass in one of my tanks.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's Ghost checking it out. He wasn't overly impressed. I still think it's grand, and I already had to keep my daughter from running off with it.

Crystal Fashion accessory Glass Rock Jewellery

·
Registered
980 Posts
Oh my GOSH that is so cool I want one I want one I want one!!!!! *steal*

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have seen big diamonds like this at my local Michaels and was disappointing they were not solid colored glass, rather painted glass, and the color coating scratches off easily. so be sure to test them before you put them in the tank. I am sure the clear ones are fine though.

You can get these made from solid colored glass, not sure which these are.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Michaels is indeed where it came from. This is one of the clear ones, I will scratch test it in an unobtrusive area to make sure it isn't coated tho!

I do have a few of the colored ones too, I might have to check them too.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I am sorry if I disappointed you, I just wanted to let you know just in case so they don't harm your betta babies. They are super pretty and I hope they test well (Super pretty is a typical Miami expression, ha ha!).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.