Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some red cherry shrimp online that were supposed to be sent to my boyfriend's house. I live in a college dorm so I didn't want them to have to go through the school's mail room and I also wasn't sure how my bettas would react to them. But... stupid me accidentally sent them to... MY DORM :evil:

So now I'm getting 12+ red cherry shrimp sent to my dorm room. I'm worried that they may get thrown around in the mail room and may not survive but that's a problem I can't solve.

My question is... when I get them (and hopefully at least most of them survive the mail room okay) Would it be okay to keep them in a 4 gallon bowl (that is currently just being used to store water for water changes) for a few days until my boyfriend can come pick them up? I have some spare gravel I can put at the bottom and I can put a few moss balls from my two 5 gallons in the tank for them. Do you think they will survive like that?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what should I feed them? I have betta pellets, freeze dried blood worms, and some frozen baby brine shrimp. I could also run to a local pet store to get them something else if there is a different food that would be better.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,471 Posts
How many days would it be before you moved them to your boyfriend's? If just if just a couple, I would leave them in the bag. I had some arrive after 10 days in the tender care of the USPS and all were alive and kicking.

Otherwise, I would pour their water in a jar and slowly add a bit of the conditioned water in the bowl at a time (like two or three tablespoons). Dont worry about feeding but do add a drop of Prime to their water as soon as you open the bag to neutralize what little bit of ammonia there might be.

As long as you have a small piece of plant for them you don't need to worry about feeding. Most sellers ship with a piece of plant and that should do.

When you get to your boyfriend's place you can add them and the jar water in their new tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts