Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically long story short, I used to have just a Betta in a 10 gallon tank, no tank mates, no live plants. Got a Moss ball, algae started growing, got 2 otos to help and 10 (now only 2) Neon Tetras, as well as 9 bunchs of Cabomba, 2 Sword plants, one bunch of Moneywart, and another moss ball.

When it was just Poseidon, I could do water changes once a week, no problems, I hardly ever had to test the water, it hardly ever changed.

A couple days a go I tested, and the Nitrites were .25, Ammonia was .25, and the Nitrates were 5.0. I thought I could wait till I got to my normal water changing day which is Monday.

I was checking today, and some of my plants looked sad and starting to brown. I've only had them for a week.

I tested today...Ammonia was 1.0, Nitrite was 5.0, and Nitrate was 10 or 20 (I was more panicked about the dark purple of the Nitrite I can't remember). I immeditanly did a 50% water change, and now the Ammonia is .25, Nitrite is .5, and Nitrate is 5.0.

To the numbers corrected, Should I do another 50% water change tomorrow and test again?

Also I discovered a couple tiny snails...are they a problem? Should I take them out of the tank now?!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tank was cycled when I had just Poseidon in it. And I did add the otos and neons at the same time (they were placed in the same bag.)

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,419 Posts
Sometimes when you add several fish at the same time it will overload the beneficial bacteria and cause another cycle; often referred to as a mini-cycle. I believe that's what you're seeing now.

Because I only buy fish online I have to add a bunch at once. I use Seachem Stability to aid/feed the existing bacteria. Since I've been doing that I haven't had a problem with mini-cycles.

If you can get a small bottle I would suggest another 50% water change tomorrow and a round of Stability.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't be able to get to a pet store for a little while. :/ Should I just test every day and make sure my numbers are low, until I can buy some?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay good. Poseidon hasn't changed his behaviour, but since the water change my otos seem more lively. Like Felix who usually hides is really easy to find now. And I hope I can bring my plants back to health. :/

·
Registered
401 Posts
Take Russels advice to heart. When ever adding more than one fish to a cycled tank all your water parameters will increase. If you can't add Stability to your tank Keep doing the water changes on a daily basis. As far as the plants and snails go, I would recommend getting Seachem flourish which will add trace elements needed for the plants to feed on. As for the snails (I hate these little pests) I say KILL THEM. One snail seen = 1000 unseen and they will continue to lay eggs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take Russels advice to heart. When ever adding more than one fish to a cycled tank all your water parameters will increase. If you can't add Stability to your tank Keep doing the water changes on a daily basis. As far as the plants and snails go, I would recommend getting Seachem flourish which will add trace elements needed for the plants to feed on. As for the snails (I hate these little pests) I say KILL THEM. One snail seen = 1000 unseen and they will continue to lay eggs.
Which flourish should I get? There is Excel, Iron, Trace, Potassium, Phosphorus, one that is just Flourish?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Either one will work very well in giving all the trace elements to your plants. if the plants are in sand or regular gravel and not in a mineral rich substrate than I would recommend the Excel. If you have an iron and mineral rich substrate than just regular flourish would do.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read some reviews that the excel killed their fish. Would regular flourish be safer?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts