Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***I uploaded4 or 5 pics to my profile*** having a hard time doing it here.

His eyes are not cloudy at all, and it doesn't seem to affect his behavior, or feeding habits... He's been in our family for 1 year, bought from PetSmart. In comparison, he seems normal, aside from his eyes. Please help.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Glo-fish (1), orange neon (1)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? ZooMed pellets, Tetra Tropical Flakes, National Geographic Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? H2O Conditioner (white bottle. Red label). Also, I normally use bottled water, but have used well water in the past

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not tested.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Eyes are bulging
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He acts normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago, a week after we transferred the aquarium into my sons bedroom.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure, I purchased him, and his tank-mates the day after Christmas of '13. They have been healthy til now.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
That is popeye. Bottled water is not recommended for bettas but I need someone else's opnion on this one. I don't know what the H2O conditioner is, is it a water conditioner/declorinator? Does it remove chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals? Does it bind ammonia? I recommend Seachem Prime (binds ammonia, highly recommended) or APP Stress Coat Plus (does not bind ammonia but is great for a tank already cycled) as a water conditioner.

Is your tank cycled? The only way to tell is to either test it yourself with a test kit or take it somewhere to get it tested. Some places do it for free. Make sure you get actual numbers not just "it's ok".

A 25% water change every two weeks is not enough. You need to do at least 10-25% weekly(some recommend 50% weekly). Even in a cycled tank because Nitrates can get high and harm your betta. If nitrates are above 20ppm, it is likely that to have caused popeye.

As for treatment, you will need to move him to a hospital/quaratine tank or float him in a container in his tank. Add 1tsp/gal of EPSOM salt into the quarantine tank. Be sure to dissolve it in tank water in a separate container first and add it slowly over a course of an hour. You will need to perform 100% daily water changes in the quarantine tank adding back the salt. Do not do this for more than 10 days. If he is not improving after 5 days then you can start treating with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn. Combine it with the epsom salt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a 5 gallon tank plus filtration, I have to change out that much water a week? I've had many bettas in the past, and this is the first one I introduced into a community with other fish. I used to have them in cylinder vases on my coffee table, fed em daily, did 100% water change every weekend and the trio lived almost 3 years. My mother had one in an "infamous" peace lily vase and he lived almost 5 years. She was told changing water wasn't necessary, just add more as needed along with consistent feedings. So now I'm thinking, maybe they are happier and healthier in MUCH smaller homes??? What should I do if the Epsom salt treatments, followed up with the antibiotics doesn't resolve his eyes? He seems in great spirits, but it's painful for me to see his eyes that swollen, and in that condition... I cannot imagine what he is going through.

I will take a sample up to PetSmart today & attempt to get a decent water test done. I will look into buying an @ home test kit as well. What specific things are critical for me to test for? Not just for my Betta ( I have two) but also my other lil fish... Like I stated before, I do not have city water... There is no chlorination, etc... But I do have a water softener...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
+1 iSheree
Except Tetracycline will not work with ES. For a case this severe, I would go right to Seachem Kanaplex. He is still eating so I would soak his food in the medicine as well as an in tank treatment. If you can't find Kanaplex, try EM Erythromycin sold by API.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Both of those tankmates are schooling fish. Glo-fish (genetically modified zebra danios) and neons both need to be in groups of 6+. I would suggest either rehoming them or getting a larger tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You said tetracycline will not work for ES... What is ES? The "Fish Pros" @ PetSmart told me those were the only two fish that could coexist with the Betta... They also told me that they would do fine with each other.... I have a brand new Biorb, my brother gave me for Christmas a couple years ago... Is it possible to separate the danios and neons and have enough room for them to have some friends?

Is the Popeye lethal, or curable? I read it is normally a symptom of other problems.... What could the potential other issues be? I don't want to buy tank mates for the other two if they have been exposed to a contagious bug.

Thanks y'all for sharing your knowledge! I wanna do right by my fish, and certainly don't want him to suffer!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts