Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been interesting to see how this soil evolves.

It's the Amazonia "Nature Tank" version.

Here we are at day #18 of cycle and suddenly the usual pH of 7.5 is now 6.5. The two tubes on the left are pH tests. The dark blue is usual result, the much lighter color is from AS tank.

A bit on the acidic side is a good thing, right?

I don't know how this drop will affect fishy so I swapped out some of his 7.5 tank water with some of the 6.5 new tank water. Don't know if it's necessary but seems like a good idea?

BTW the ammonia & nitrite levels pictured are from Rigel's current tank - but the new tank is soooooooo close. No ammonia, nitrites above zero but below .25 ppm, nitrate 5 ppm maybe it's ready? But that's a different post.

The way that AS leeched ammonia If I didn't have a day gig I'd say my occupation is professional water changer

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
p.s. I use Prime and I know that would detoxify the trace nitrites for 48 hours so that's an option.

I didn't have the patience for a "fish in" cycle as I believed one fish in a 10 gallon would take forever.

·
Super Moderator
18,373 Posts
p.s. I use Prime and I know that would detoxify the trace nitrites for 48 hours so that's an option.

I didn't have the patience for a "fish in" cycle as I believed one fish in a 10 gallon would take forever.

IME, one Betta in a 10 gallon doesn't take any longer than one fish in a five gallon. I have cycled tanks 2.5 and up in 10-14 days using SeaChem Stability. Day 1 double dose; Days 2-8 single doses. It is also good to add when introducing more tank mates. Doing such, even adding 20+ Nano fish, I've not had a mini-cycle or cycle crash. Just a bit of side information. ;-)

Can't help you with the initial question. Sorry.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info. I have Safe Start on hand, Dr. Tim's and an API product, but I think what helped the most was seeding the filter from a mature tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts