Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male betta who has a mild case of fin rot. (I think) I was advised here to do more frequent water changes, and to use aquarium salt. I understand that salt doesn't evaporate, and isn't filtered, so I want to make sure I'm not over salting. My aquarium is 2 1/2 gallons. I'm changing just under a gallon with each water change right now, so around 30%. Do I add salt each time I do this? Do I replace the 1/2 tsp, or will that end up being too much??
Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
First off, I would upgrade to at least a 3 gallon tank to prevent further illness. Second, I luckily have never had to treat fin rot, so I don't know if this is textbook correct, but I would do it after each water change. Third, clean water is one of the most effective medications, so I would increase the number of water changes to every 2-3 days maybe a bit under the amount you are doing just for the time he is sick. Hope this helped!

Reactions: rowemom5

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Remove one gallon of water. Add the appropriate amount of salt for one gallon to the replacement one gallon. That's the easiest.

BTW, size of a tank has nothing to do with whether fish become ill. Whether a tank is one or 50 gallons poor maintenance and/or poor quarantine practices are usually the precursors of disease.

·
Registered
242 Posts
@RussellTheSizu yeah I meant that it would stress him out being in a smaller tank, not that he would get ill automatically, sorry poor choice of words :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A thousand thanks

Thank you both so much for responding. I'm trying so hard to get this all figured out. I'll make more frequent (partial) water changes, and continue with the salt.
I've heard that I shouldn't use salt for more than 10 days, would you agree with that? If so, I should quit using the salt now, but he doesn't look better at all. Still acts and looks just like he did when I started trying to treat him. It makes me so sad!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I looked at your other thread and, honestly, it looks more like biting than fin rot. Can you post a photo of his entire tank? There's no real known cause of fin biting but too bright light and too little cover/plants are two common denominators.

Also take a photo focusing on his caudal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the hardest time getting pictures of my little guy tonight! It's like he knew, lol!
OK, for reference:
Top Fin 2.5 gallon tank with mini might filter (came with it) that I use a water bottle on to slow the current.
I use an Aqueon 50 watt heater. Its adjustable and keeps the water at 78-79 degrees.
Silk plants, plus one plastic "betta hammock" and a tiki head. He likes to go inside the tiki head and hide.
He eats Omega One Betta Flakes. I can't get him to eat pellets, though I'd like him to.
Thanks again for your help and advice! My little Si thanks you, too! :-D

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention the Marimo Moss ball, but you can see it there, of course. I'd love to replace the fake plants with real ones, but it seems so overwhelming to me. I don't want an unhappy betta AND unhappy plants!
I don't know much about fin biting, but I don't understand how he could bite his dorsal fin? (It is a dorsal fin, right? On top?) All of his fins used to stand out so beautifully, but now they lay flat.
The lights on the tank lid are LEDs. They don't get hot, of course, but it IS really bright. Could that be part of the problem, too?
Again, how do I say thank you enough?
THANK YOU!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I think he's biting or may have damage from decor. You can low-dose the salt as maintenance. Maybe a quarter teaspoon every time you remove and add one gallon. If you start to see clear on the end of his fins it means they are growing. But they are slow, slow, slow....like the watched pot. And, yes, they can chomp their dorsal.

If you have a store with Anubias I would get one and just let it float. I had one tank that was all Anubias: Floating, tied to Cholla, held down with plant weights, etc. They don't need to be planted although the ones I held down with plant weights eventually rooted.

If you can't find them locally you can get them online. I buy mine from JDAquatics on this site.

Anubias don't need fertilizer or special lights. Easy peasy. ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I made a trip to the aquarium store today and made some changes. I did buy an Anubias plant, but the guy threw in some Amazon Frogbit for free. He suggested that I I anchor the Anubias (just hold it down with the pebbles at the bottom of the tank) and let the Frogbit float at the top. I also bought a piece of driftwood to replace the tiki head. I boiled it for a long time, changing the water every 5 minutes, until the water remained clear.
So now I have the driftwood, Anubias, Frogbit and the moss ball. That's it. I plan to replace my filter with the if 201 this weekend. After reading many posts here, it seems like a good one for my small tank. The one it came with has a pretty strong current, so I use a water bottle to slow it down. It seems to work fine, but I still think I'll replace it.
Is there anything else you would suggest? I can't even tell you how thankful I am for your help. I take my pets very seriously, and I want so badly to help our little guy be healthy and happy.
Thanks again!!
PS I'm including pictures of the new set up. I did take the fish out while I changed it. When I put him back in the tank, he explored for a few minutes, and then settled in behind the driftwood. You can see him in the last picture.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I like Amazon Frogbit. With the Anubias make sure you didn't plant the rhizome. It's the green part from which the leaves and roots sprout. The rhizome can rot if planted.

I think you'll like the IF201. it is tiny and will take up hardly any room.

Glad we could help you and hoe things continue to improve. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, all! My betta seems to LOVE the frogbit I added to his tank! He spends almost every moment sitting among the roots. He seems to like the shade they provide from the light, so that's good.
I just did a water change (20% or so) and really struggled not to trash it, though. My tank is only 2.5 gallons, but is somewhat tall, so it's hard to siphon the rocks at the bottom without causing a raucous. :) I am considering buying the PetsMart Grreat Choice 2.5 gallon tank, but have a couple of questions so I'll start a new thread.
Oh, I also got the IF 201 and really like it! I turned the spray bar to the wall, and it doesn't seem to disturb the water much at all. Thanks for that suggestion!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.