Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a baby bio for sushi, its not what I would have chosen but it was the only one that would fit in the space, shushi has been happy in there for about 18 months, recently, he took to staying on the bottom, appeared to take effort to swim to the top for food, then he would quickly sink back down, not swim bladder and everything is ok in the tank, I had resigned myself to the fact he was maybe getting close to his passing on, but then, he came back to his usual self and appears ok again! asking at the LFS, the assistant who breeds them(in the past) says they can have ups and downs, he says the best thing I can do to pep him up, is to add two females(rather than one which might get bullied) QUESTION is a baby bio big enough, there are no other fish in there, what does anyone think? it is 4 us galls or 15 liters

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
No adding females will NOT help! It is dangerous for the females to be int he tank with the male and it can be dangerous for the male to! The guy doesn't know what he is talking about! Go to the sickness forum and post there, they may be able to help you. But DO NOT put females in with him!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I shudder to think that that guy ever bred them. Do not add females. Firstly, the bioload can't support it; secondly, either the girls will gang up and kill the male, then each other, or the male will kill them both. Do not keep males and females together.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,although I think shushi has just enough room in 4 galls by himself, I must admit I thought you could put a male and female together, I thought it was just 2 males you couldn't keep, I have a 399 liter tank too and the misinformation I have heard been given in LFS is mind blowing, but shushi is my first betta

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yes, take what you hear at LFS with a grain of salt. They usually don't know what they are talking about. Happy to hear you didn't put the females in with him! And hope you have fun taking care of your new guy! And welcome to the Forums!

Reactions: sharon

·
Banned
137 Posts
betta dont get lonely and need other fish. they just need you.
unplug your filter plug from the babybiorb and see if that peps him up a bit.
could be he doesnt like the constant bubbles.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you wanted, maybe you could add a snail. Or some shrimpies if he's mellow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, turns out he had a early case of swim bladder, has been treated and appears to have made a full recovery, back to his normal happy self,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.