Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, before I knew anything about live plant care I added a lucky bamboo stick (leaves out of the water) and a marimo to my 5.5 gallon betta tank without quarantining them first. The marimo seems to have some kind of white stuff in it now. Did I expose my fish to something? What should I do?

Also, for the future I am planning on adding more live plants to my tank (correctly.) What exactly does quarantining entail? How do you discover that a plant is or isn't carrying a disease and if it is, is there some way to "cure" it or do you have to throw out the plant?

For reference, all of my plants have been and will be purchased at Petsmart.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hmm the marimo balls i see at petsmart are usually in their own containers so they should be relatively clean. Bamboo should be fine as long its leaves are out of the water. Not really sure what the stuff could be, maybe post a picture?

I didn't really quarantine my plants and they seem to be doing just fine. The only thing that most people check for is hitchhiker snails. Simple just look over the plants and remove any snails you see.

If you really really want to quarantine plants you can dip the plants in a weak bleach water solution.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts