Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this forum so I hope this is the correct place to post. I work in a retail store and we have had a betta fish there since I started (about 5 months ago). Recently he has started lying on his side at the top of the tank, his fins are getting shorter, and he has what looks like popeye on one eye. I kept betta fish as a kid so I know a bit about them. At the store, he was kept in about 2 gallons of tap water(no conditioner), fed flake food (which I know is not the correct food for bettas), and kept in an environment of around 70 degrees or below.

The owner let me "adopt" the fish since he doesn't seem to be doing well. I took him home yesterday. I have the same bowl but added more water, so it is more like 2.5 gallons. Here is what I have done so far:

Change water and treat with conditioner/aquarium salt. Fill bowl with more water. The bowl does not have a filter.
Add fake plant.
Switch to actual betta food (pellets).
Move to warmer environment (my house)

Is there anything else I can do to help this betta? He already seems to be more active and is eating his pellets. He still lies on his side occasionally and seems to struggle to swim. He hangs out around the top of the bowl.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You need to keep the water temperature at 78-82 degrees. A heater is absolutely necessary as are water changes.

Water changes should be twice [email protected]% and [email protected]%

Sounds like he has fin rot. Heat & clean water are a start. Maybe try some API stress coat.

If things keep getting worse it might be time to treat him with API triple Sulfa.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice. I went out and got a heater and thermometer today and the tank is now between 78 and 80. I have been reading that fin rot and popeye require daily water changes.. Should I continue to do a 100% water change until he improves?

He does seem to be floating less, but will occasionally float up to the top on his side and then struggle to swim away. His activity has increased with the warm water.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Yes, you should continue to do daily water changes until he improves. Since he doesn't have a filter, you should do 100%. Warm, clean water is the best medicine for fin rot and popeye. Although if the popeye does not improve or gets worse, you can do a round of epsom salt baths to help reduce the swelling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You need water conditioner, heater, most likely some aquarium salt, and some TLC. Those conditions he's been kept in are below standard and definitely need to be changed for survival. On his side means possible swim bloat, my rescue betta can't eat flake or pellet food or he will go completely sideways. I recommend frozen bloodworms. Those would make him really happy and may perk him up. I'd say temperature and then water parameters are your first big hurdles. Don't worry! Bettas have turned around from far worse!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Swimming on his side is a likely indication of bloat. Btw, No water conditioner? They didn't dechlorinate his water? EEEK!
Clean, warm water, can do amazing things for bettas. I would try to get him in some epsom salt, but perhaps give him a few days first before trying that. Clean, chlorine free, warm water, may be all this little guy needs.
My 2nd betta had serious bloat. We fasted him for 3-4 days, put some epsom salt in his water for a few days, and when I did feed him, I went with brine shrimp for the first week. He's fine now. :)

Good luck with your new little guy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Swimming on his side is a likely indication of bloat. Btw, No water conditioner? They didn't dechlorinate his water? EEEK!
Clean, warm water, can do amazing things for bettas. I would try to get him in some epsom salt, but perhaps give him a few days first before trying that. Clean, chlorine free, warm water, may be all this little guy needs.
My 2nd betta had serious bloat. We fasted him for 3-4 days, put some epsom salt in his water for a few days, and when I did feed him, I went with brine shrimp for the first week. He's fine now. :)

Good luck with your new little guy!
Everything i just posted above lol! Agreed :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
good advice so far, one more small thing: if you have the flake food still, feed it to your fish maybe once or twice a week, because variety is healthy, and if he already was eating it, that is good too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.